combining different meats

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

combining different meats

Postby RJ98 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:57 pm

Does anybody combine meats in their sausage? My first batch was made of 4 lbs boston butt and 1.25 lb beef chuck roast. I also added about 4 oz of fatback and 1 cup of soy protein. It turned out a little tougher then expected. But I'm trying to determine whether its because I added beef or because I screwed up the smoking process, as I described in a previous post.

Thanks.
RJ98
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:18 am

I'd like to see the recipe you're using. Soy protein should be used at a rate of 1-3% of the meat. Your 1 cup is around 6-7 % and I'd think it could make for a tough or rubbery sausage.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby RJ98 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:55 pm

DanMcG-I used the smoked Polish kielbasa recipe from Rytek Kutas' book"Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing". It says for 10 lbs of pork, use 2 cups of soy protein. I used 4 lbs of pork shoulder and 1.25 lbs of beef chuck roast. Which equaled 5.25 lbs. So I halved his recipe and used 1 cup of soy protein. Do you think it is the soy protein that made it tough, not the beef?

1 More question-I just looked at my soy protein. It's Hi Country Soy Protein Concentrate-SOY GRITS, SALT, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN AND SPICE. Is this the right stuff? It's a grainy texture compared to the light corn starch texture that I see on the internet.
RJ98
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:02 am

RJ98, there are a number of ways you can make a sausage tough. Tough meat is one way. Overmixing can make it dense and tough. Overcooking, or cooking too rapidly, depending on the cuts of meat. Salt content. Hard to say, at this point.

What shouldn't cause it is using a combination of pork and beef. if the specific pieces of meat are tough, that's different, but there are many sausages that are normally made of a mixture of pork and beef, or pork, beef and veal, or pork, chicken and turkey, or pork and veal...lots of combinations.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Making Techniques