Soaking a protein lined fibrous casing for a second time

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Soaking a protein lined fibrous casing for a second time

Postby bwalt822 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:22 pm

Hello again,

I am currently in the process of drying my first batch of salami and the salami in hog casings has come out great thanks to a lot of reading I did here. I'm still waiting on the salami in the thicker fibrous casings to finish drying, which should be mid April based on the data I've taken so far.

Anyway I ended up soaking one too many protein lined fibrous casings in water. I let it dry back out and its pretty wrinkled. Can I just soak it again and use it on the next batch or is it no good anymore? What about for a non protein lined fibrous casing?

Thanks.
bwalt822
Registered Member

Postby bwalt822 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Well I just started my second batch of salami using the previously soaked casing so I guess we shall see...
bwalt822
Registered Member

Postby the chorizo kid » Tue May 15, 2012 2:28 pm

i recently did just that. no problemo. casing was soaked, dried and soaked again, then stuffed. it adhered beautifully to the salami as it dried.
the chorizo kid
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Tue May 15, 2012 7:48 pm

yes I do that too, no problems re-soaking and re-using.
Col. Big Guy
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Oddwookiee » Wed May 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Resoaking is not a problem, just make sure the casing is clean. I usually have a dozen or so casings left over from sausage batches and just hang them up to drip dry overnight and then store them dry. I had one batch that must have had something contaminate the water as they grew a little discoloration after drying & got tossed out, but one group out of a slew is an acceptable loss.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques