beef tallow sticking to roof of mouth - should I smoke it?

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

beef tallow sticking to roof of mouth - should I smoke it?

Postby gjesdahl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:24 pm

Well, I made some raw sausage in the winter and it's been curing since then. It is half pork half beef. I just recently tried it and the fat stuck to the roof of the mouth as happens with cold lamb. Do you just have to live with this when you make a beef raw sausage, or is there a solution? Beef jerky never seems to have that effect and I wonder if smoking might help. Raw sausages that are beef/pork mixes typically come from Germanic countries and if I'm not mistaken they usually smoke their sausages, which is the only thing I didn't do. On the other hand, I don't see how this would help. Am i just stuck with mouth sticking sausage?
gjesdahl
Newly Registered

Postby Dogfish » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:34 pm

What part of the beef fat did you use? Did you toss in any venison "just because"?
Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
Dogfish
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:02 pm

can't really comment on the fat sticking to the roof of your mouth but A beef jerky shouldn't do it cause a good jerky will have no fat, or at least minimum fat. I also try to use pork fat for most recipes. it just tastes better to me.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Just noticed this question that came it while I was away, and thought I'd offer my two cents.

Saturated fats that go solid or semi-solid at room temperature, like animal fats, will stick to the roof of your mouth until they warm sufficiently to start melting. It is the nature of saturated fats, like lamb, beef, pork, and chicken fat to go sticky/tacky as they solidify.

Different fats have different melting points. Poultry fats have the lowest melting points (start melting at 75-80°F), and melt quickly in your mouth, so they don't stick to the roof of your mouth unless they are cool. Pork fats are next lowest, melting at around 94°F, so they also melt quickly in your mouth, and again, don't stick to the roof of your mouth unless the are cool. Butter melts at about 98°F. Beef fat start to melt at about body temperature, but doesn't fully melt until it is warmer than body temperature, which is why you can still detect a film on the roof of your mouth when eating a room-temperature or cooler sausage made with beef fat. Lamb fat has the highest melting temperature of these fats, and doesn't melt at body temperature, which is why lamb is generally served hot, or defatted if served cold - unless it is hotter than about 115-120°F, the fat will congeal in your mouth.

The higher the beef fat content of your room-temperature or cooler sausage, the more you will notice the fat sticking to the roof of your mouth. Mouth feel, flavor and texture are important reasons why beef fat is not widely used in sausage making, and why pork fat is preferred.

Smoking will not affect this characteristic of saturated fat. If you were to smoke your sausages, they would taste smoked and the fat would still stick to the roof of your mouth.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Sausage Making Techniques