Fat used in sausages

Tips and tecniques on dryng drying, curing etc.

Fat used in sausages

Postby RichDeveau-Maxwell » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi there; I appreciate this might be a rather simple question, but I am relatively new to the game.

When I go to any of my local butchers for pork 'back fat', they either look at me blankly, or inform me they don't sell it. However, the most helpful of these butchers said he could sell me 'flare' fat. I assume pork fat is essentially the same whichever cut of meat it comes from, even if its texture/toughness varies. Therefore presumably this 'flare' fat would be fine to use in place of 'back' fat?

All advice gratefully received.
RichDeveau-Maxwell
Newly Registered

Postby wheels » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:09 pm

Welcome RichDeveau-Maxwell,

No, unfortunately there are a number of different types of pork fat: some soft, some hard.

Pork back fat is hard. It's the fat that you get on the edge of a pork chop.

Flare fat is from the inside of the pig and is soft: you make lard from it.

The two are as alike as chalk and cheese.

If the butcher doesn't know this: change your butcher!

Have you tried telling your butcher what you want to do? (For that matter: what do you want to do?) He may be able to help you more if he knows this.

(...and so would I!)

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Re: Fat used in sausages

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:14 pm

RichDeveau-Maxwell wrote:Hi there; I appreciate this might be a rather simple question, but I am relatively new to the game.

When I go to any of my local butchers for pork 'back fat', they either look at me blankly, or inform me they don't sell it. However, the most helpful of these butchers said he could sell me 'flare' fat. I assume pork fat is essentially the same whichever cut of meat it comes from, even if its texture/toughness varies. Therefore presumably this 'flare' fat would be fine to use in place of 'back' fat?

All advice gratefully received.

Flare fat is great for lard, but not so great for sausage, it's a soft fat, insist on good back fat.

If the 'butcher' looks at you dumbfounded, tell him "This would be a great place for a butchery."

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:17 pm

OOOpps!

Cross post!

~Martin
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:38 pm

I'm feeling guilty. RichDeveau-Maxwell wouldn't have asked if he'd know the answer; my reply now seems churlish.

Please tell us in more detail what you are trying to do RichDeveau-Maxwell. I'm sure we can help.

Phil :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:57 am

wheels wrote:If the butcher doesn't know this: change your butcher!

There ponders a point; I would (sight unseen) the said butcher must be fresh out of school --- or the other alternative would be that he/she is not a butcher but a 'meat cutter' there is a difference and a rather large one at that :cry:

To the original poster the question is what is the purpose of the back fat for, as said by others if you could let us know for what use it is intended we might/will be able to help.

The other help would be if you can update where you are from (general area)

TIA
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:26 am

Hi Rich and welcome.
The reason that butchers are unwilling to sell you backfat is they want it for the same reason as you do.
Its probably a better idea to use belly to make up your fat content

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby larry » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:06 pm

Most real butchers use their backfat for making sausage. But they should be honest with you and tell you why they don't sell it. I've had good luck with local farmers who raise pigs. There is a lot of backfat on a pig, and if you ask for it before the pig is processed, the farmers are usually willing to sell it, and even to have it packaged in usable portions. Sometimes the trick is getting a claim on the backfat before the processor does. Most of the processors of pigs also make sausage, and they may try to get the backfat cheap or for free as "waste" from the farmers.

Just yesterday, I saw packaged backfat in my local grocery store, packaged by Hatfield's. Upon closer inspection (i didn't have my reading glasses with me) it was already cured with sodium nitrate. I wasn't sure I could use pre-cured backfat the same way as raw backfat, so I didn't buy it. It was not expensive, though, about a dollar and a half a pound.
larry
Registered Member

Return to Sausage Making Techniques