cheese press france

Equipment and ingredients suppliers and plans for home made cheese making equipment.

cheese press france

Postby Hampshire Jack » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:54 pm

hi everyone does anyone know if a cheese press is cheaper in france eg carrefour auchan thanks jack :D
Hampshire Jack
Hampshire Jack
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:18 pm

U might want to do a search on the net or phone them but I would say any savings might be wasted on the shipping. Look around or find someone handy with wood and make one, they are simple to make.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:02 am

I've not seen a cheese press, but I have seen fruit presses that would press a cheese. They are in the area where the preserving jars and those interesting galvanised bins for bottling fruit are. You could try Leroy Merlin the big DIY merchants. They have a wide variety of stock, I bought a full size artists easel there for only 39 euros, mega bargain!

As for being cheaper, probably not. I bought my cheese press from Ascott Smallholdings for about �29 and it does good service. There are plans somewhere here to make one if you have the time and skills, or a large bottle of water place on the mold will do the trick.

HTH
Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

cheese press

Postby Hampshire Jack » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:56 pm

Hi Jen,
Thanks for that I'm going to France tomorrow can you explain how these galvanised bins work as I am interested in bottleing fruit. Do they work on the preasure cooker system and do you know if they sell cheese moulds in their supermarkets.
Kind Regards
Jack :D
Hampshire Jack
Hampshire Jack
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi Jack,

No I haven't seen any cheese moulds, but I often use the tin that contained confit of duck for a cheese mould, I bought that in France, and its the perfect size for a two gallon make.

As to the galvanised container. I found one in my house in France and wondered what it was, then saw them in the supermarket along side the kilner jars and all the wine making stuff. I'm assuming they are used for fruit bottling, but so far I've been so busy putting in mains drainage and upstairs bathrooms I've not had time to investigate.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Return to Cheese making equipment