First Stilton

General Cheese making discussion

First Stilton

Postby Oddley » Wed May 10, 2006 11:09 pm

Even after two hours of waiting I still could not get a clean break, It had some good curds but a lot of them looked like scrambled eggs.

I still strained and pressed it. Will have to see how it turns out. Also got 6 1/2 onz of ricotta from the whey.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Thu May 11, 2006 12:43 pm

Hi Oddley,

The first one I did I wasn't quite sure if I'd achieved a clean break, but decided that I could see pale green whey in the fissures I'd created, so I went ahead and it was fine. Subsequent cheeses I've added 2 tsps of Vegeren, that was better, and most recently I've purchased some calcium chloride from Ascott and add a small quantity, and that really get the curds forming. Also, you need to be really gentle turning the curds or they will turn to scramble.

That's my limited experience to date, it may help.

Sounds as if you'll still get a cheese worth eating.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Thu May 11, 2006 2:27 pm

jenny, Thanks for the tips. I have made cheese from a kit many moons ago and I remember the curds being whole and distinct. I think my partial success or failure is down to the rennet.

I seem to remember reading that vegeren is not quite as good as animal rennet, I think I will have to buy some calcium chloride and animal rennet from ascotts. I don't really mind a partial success because we learn by our mistakes. I've learnt a lot this time and will use that knowledge next time. I'll wait and see how the cheese comes out it will probably be fine.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Fri May 12, 2006 7:48 am

are you using those tiny wee bottles of vegeren you get from health food stores and the like?

or are you using the veggy alternative from a supplier (ascotts, moorlands etc)?

can't be doing with the former, but the latter gives me good results through a variety of cheeses

just wondering
jpj
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Fri May 12, 2006 9:10 am

I'm using the tiny wee bottles at the moment because they are available easily from Waitrose, Teso seems to have discontinued them here for some reason. I have no other experience to compare them with, but they seem to produce a fair result, but you need to use twice as much. As I wade in deeper I will be going for the real McCoy, and will probably notice a difference then.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat May 13, 2006 11:33 am

jpj yes I'm using the wee bottles at the moment. I think they are primarily for junket so perhaps not the best for cheese making.

I'm holding off buying from ascotts because I have spent far too much on my hobbies, and the postage puts me off a bit. I would also like to make a couple of cheeses before I plunge too deeply.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sat May 13, 2006 12:00 pm

You're right about Ascott's postage costs, I ordered a few bits and bobs and the P&P was 25% of the order.

Come on Franco, start stocking starters, rennet and p. roquefortii (sp?): you can see the demand, how popular has this forum become?
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby aris » Sat May 13, 2006 12:34 pm

There is a person on ebay selling starters and other cheese related stuff:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Jongia-cheese-accessories
aris
Site Admin

Postby Wohoki » Sat May 13, 2006 12:45 pm

Way more expensive than Ascott, even factoring in the P&P.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Sun May 14, 2006 9:03 pm

i agree, i wait till i need to get a few things before i order
proper rennet works better IMHO
moorlands have a better variety of extras but a crazy postage scheme
jpj
Registered Member

Re: First Stilton

Postby saucisson » Thu May 18, 2006 8:26 am

My first attempt last night was the same, I used the same vegeren as I used 2 days ago which worked beautifully on my camembert attempt at 1/4 teaspoon to 2 gallons milk. For the stilton I used 1/2 teaspoon and after 2 1/2 hrs it looked, as you say, a bit scrambled. The differences in the processes were less buttermilk ( I mistakenly put a whole tub in the camembert) the stilton spike and a lower temperature (temperature dropped to 29 deg C while I wasn't paying attention). I'm going to try again and make sure I keep the temperature at 31.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

what did i do wrong?

Postby rasher » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:37 pm

Have just attempted to make my first stilton, using Rik's recipe. I followed the recipe to the letter (almost - couldn't get hold of animal rennet, so used 2 tsps vegeren to the gallon ). Kept the temperature at 88deg for 90 mins and ended up with a gallon of liquid with only a few tiny curds. Left it for a further 30 mins to see if curds would form, but there was no improvement. Can anyone suggest what the problem might have been as i intend to try again.
Thanks in anticipation
rasher.
rasher
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:25 pm

Check the sell by date of the Vegeren, most shops keep it way past the sell by date.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Richierich » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:22 pm

I followed Riks Stilton recipe to the letter in regard to quantities and had to wait 2 hours for a clean break with Vegeren from Tescos, I used 4 litres of Organic Whole Milk and 1 litre of Gold Top. The cheese is now sitting in its cave, and the clock is ticking down. Does anyone know whether size matters for the cave, I am using the tub I got with my food saver, its about 1" larger all the way round than the cheese, is it worth "sealing" the bottom with some damp paper towel to keep moisture in there and keep air out for the majority of the time?

As far as the form was concerned, I used a cut down Tesco Value Mineral Water Bottle, did a great job, though depending how this turns out I may look to buy something better.

One great thing I did buy to help the process was an Aquarium heater, stuck to sink and kept the temperature at a lovely 88F for the 3-odd hours I was doing this for, beats adding hot water every now and then.

Richierich
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:07 pm

looks great !!! the cheese has to breath so it does req "fresh" air. I tried butting one of my stilton in a tight container and it got soft and sticky.
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Next

Return to Cheese Chat