First camembert

General Cheese making discussion

First camembert

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:00 pm

Decided the time had come to demolish this interesting piece of cheese that I've had lurking for some weeks.

Left it at room temperature all day and by the evening it was ready to walk out of the door! When cut into it was fairly firm on the outside but the centre was runny and soon spread. The flavour - absolutely wonderful! We had visitors staying and the whole lot disappeared in one sitting, and it wasn't a small piece either.

The goats cheese was very strong in flavour, but very palatable. I cooked the last of it in a courgette flan (recipe in cookery section).

Will definitely do more of these when the weather gets cooler.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:43 pm

They sound lovely...

I have a camembert and a stilton on the go at the moment (and I salted the stilton this time!)

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:59 pm

Do you have a dedicated fridge Dave for your cheese? I keep two fridges, one for meat and one for dairy and have kept the temperature in the dairy fridge higher than I would normally to accommodate the cheese making. With this hot weather though I will have to put cheese making on hold until it's cooler, I don't like running the fridge so warm.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:11 pm

Yes, it's a small red wine cooler running at 15 degrees C. I keep my cheeses at the top and my air drying meat at the bottom. It's not had wine in it for several months! I'm wondering about a dedicated cheese making fridge, how warm can you set a domestic fridge?

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:17 pm

I took mine up to 10c which was fine. it would have gone warmer but I'm keeping other stuff in there. I might look out for a small wine cooler. They are probably a good size for cheese.

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:46 pm

This is the same as mine, but I suspect this is the white wine version if they were cooling soft drinks in it! I got mine for a similar price but local to home. It would be interesting to see if there is a switch, dial etc on the circuit board for changing the temperature.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Black-12-bottle-w ... otohosting

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Wohoki » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:49 pm

I've put cheese-making on the back-burner until the Autumn, but posts like this keep me keen to keep on keeping on. That flan sounds great.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:00 pm

Wohoki, how was the goats cheese you made? I'm going to France again next week so I shall be having a a few servings of the 'real thing'.
Mine had a WOW factor, but was not for the faint hearted. Strong as a donkey's hind leg!

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:23 pm

Hi Jen, it worked fine, but I don't have anywhere to mature cheeses in hot weather so I served it at about 10 days, having let it loose moisture wrapped in cloth in the fridge. I sliced it 1/2 inch thick and grilled it for a salad. Not bad, but I've eated better.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Return to Cheese Chat