Culturing mold

General Cheese making discussion

Culturing mold

Postby BlueCheese » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:13 pm

is their a rule of thumb on making your own cultures"?
Right now eagerly waiting for some suplies, want to make camembert, however did not get the penecil, what i want to do is use an exsisting mould from a store bought. I know its alive becouse it regrew on the cut pieces. So what |i have done is warmed up some half and half milk and scraped of some of the fuzz into it and left it for a day, then put it in the friged. Want to add it to the mix. ones its all shaped, then give another dose on top with more scrapings. :lol: or am I crazy :idea:
Got some blue cheese also ready for a second batch to mix in.
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:49 am

The shop bought one's are more active I believe, though I haven't used them myself. The stilton recipe here calls for a cube of blue cheese as a starter to get the flavour, though I gather you get more veining with a commercial starter culture. I have sat a piece of commercial camembert on top of a cheese to see what happens and it got nicely "infected" with penecillin, so give it a go!

Welcome to the Forums!!

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby BlueCheese » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:18 pm

Thank you! :)
Been waiting a week now for my rennet and MA4000 (what they recomended), just about exploding with eagerness to try out this new venture.

Neil
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby paco2046 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:02 pm

hi

Just see from WIKI, about roquefort: it says the locals put some bread on the soil which contain pen roq, when the bread is mould over, they collect it and dry it. It will be the starter culture for making roquefort.

I lover to try this method for salami starter culture as well as brie and roquefort. and my plan is to spray bread with the liquid have cheese or salami rind soaked in.

But not sure how to dry the mould bread and won't kill the organism? have any idea?

Thx
paco2046
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:43 pm

temp under 110F and no sunlight, or in a good dehydrator with temp control
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Return to Cheese Chat