Took the plunge!!

General Cheese making discussion

Postby bakey » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:25 pm

Hi Jen, how much calcium chloride do you use per liter - I got a litre from Ascotts which I'm sure will last me forever.

Also on the mould front, I too bought some from Ascott and found they were smaller than I'd expected. What I did was use a larger drain pipe (not food grade, but white plastic and sterilised!) filled that with curds and then placed the Ascott mould on top , filled that with curds and then placed the follower on top of the lot - it worked a treat. I'll post some pics when I can of the ensemble! I got two good sized Lancashires which I've waxed and am waiting to mature.

I've now made a stilton, a pressed stilton a brie and some Lancashire and have yet to taste anyof them! :roll:
bakey
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:35 pm

Saucisson,

I have taken som photo's and have planned to post them every night but then I forget !!

I'l try my best to stop being so lazy!!!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the blue has developed today. It seems to come about really rapidliy.

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:06 pm

Bakey,

Sounds as though you've got a good supply of cheese to taste there. You're in for a treat I'm sure. Also you have been quite inventive with your molds, it's the only way unless you want to spend a fortune.

As to clacium chloride, I use 1 tsp for a gallon make. Rik talks about egg spoons in his recipes, which I am translating into small tsps. Seems to work well, and does make a difference to the strength of the curds, and yes, you will have enough to last a few years!

FB

looking forward to those photos. Cheese making has that 'small miracle' factor about it don't you think, and plots are easily lost!

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:24 am

At 12 days Old I decided it was time to spike my stilton last night. I put the skewers in and made approximately 20 holes in and around the whole cheese, (top, bottom and sides) and it actually smelt of cheese!!!

I couldn't believe it.... In fact I tasted the small smear on the skewer and guess what????? It tasted of Stilton!!!

I can't tell you how excited I am about the whole thing. The rind is starting to form now and although it is still very blue, the orangeness is starting to come though. I've promised the father inlaw I'll produce it on Xmas eve so hopefully I can keep my hands off it till then!!

FB
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:42 pm

Sounds promising! I have one I need to keep my paws off too :D

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby BlueCheese » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:43 pm

Pictures, Pictures Pictures please ! LOL
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:25 am

Hi BC,

The intentionis there but I just never seem to get round to it!! I checked this mng and the blue is definately reducing now and turning browny orange.

I'll do my best to remember the piccies!! I have about a dozen already.

FB
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cheese Chat