Thermometer Type

General Cheese making discussion

Thermometer Type

Postby Fallow Buck » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:45 am

I'm looking at adding a couple of bits of cheese making kit, and want a good hermometer. One thing I realised first time round was that using a jam thermometer wasn't accurate enough. A lot of my curd setting and cooking times were at 96-98 degrees F.

I'm looking at either the stainless dial thermometer or the loating one from ascott. I like the stainless one because of the pan clip but am curious to know how small the gradients are on it. My current one is 5deg F increments.

Thanks,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:54 am

I use an LCD digital meat thermometer with 1 degree increments, but that's only because I had it already.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Fallow Buck » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:39 pm

I saw one of those in the kitchhen shop on the high street actually. They were only a few pounds more expensive than the other ones

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:03 pm

Mine came from Maplin, it has a remote with a probe on a heat resistant wire that you stick in the meat in the oven, bbq or whatever. then you carry the base station around with you (the size of a small mobile phone) and you can check the temperature whenever you want. You can also dial in different meats and tastes and an alarm goes off on the base station when your meat is ready :D Completely OTT for cheese making but useful for bbqing.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Cheese Chat