Stilton Is Still Blue

General Cheese making discussion

Postby BlueCheese » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:51 pm

U dont have a conector to a computor? or website to upload too?
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:08 am

Hi BC,

I have the connector and the website, but the main problem is that I need to play with the photos to reduce the file size otherwise all those on dial up take ages to open the thread. My machine at home has gone up the swanny so I need to do it at work and haven't had a chance to getthem put on a disk and brought in.

Perhaps by the time I cut into it and get the last set of photo's on the crackers, Mr Clause will have solved my machine worries!!! ;)

BTW,

I wiped the stilton in brine solution yesterday as suggested in my recipe, in the hope that the blue dusting will go leaving me the yellow/orange rind.

Only 12 days until it gets eaten!!!

Rgds,
Kiri
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Re: Stilton Is Still Blue

Postby Divey » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:31 pm

Fallow Buck wrote:Hi All,

My stilton is now in it's fifth week. I have needled once and will give it a second needling tonight.

The rind has formed quite well but I am a little concerned that it has yet to go the orange colour I was expecting. It seems to have the yellow tinge in places but the blue is still all over it. Infact I have a couple of furry white spots on it that I will rub off tonight I think.

My question is, is it supposed to still be blue? Or do I rub the blue off to expose the yellow rind?

Rgds,
FB

Hi FB,

I have recently made a Stilton and two days ago I noticed that the appearance of my cheese is exactly what you have described here.

I was/am concerned about the little furry white spots on the cheese. I noticed that they rubbed off really easy.

I am worried that somehow the Penicillium Candidum (spelling) from me making Camembert a few weeks ago has somehow got onto the Stilton.

As you posted in December last year I was wondering if you could let me know what was the final outcome of your Stilton?

Regards,
Lindsay
Divey
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:41 pm

I have found that cross contamination is very possable, notably my recent gouda comming out of the closset as part blue, so I will be bleaching everything heavaly especialy the muslin cloth, probably its from their.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:18 pm

Divey,

I have yet to cut into the latest Stilton, which did the same thing as this one did. Basically on the outside the stilton looked rather grim, but once it was cut and the rind came off it tasted fabulous.

The latest one I have is a bit bluer, but I am experimenting with some brine washes on the outside to see if I can get rid of the mould. It should be ripe for cutting in the next few days I think so I'll let you know.

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby Divey » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:16 pm

Fallow Buck,

I will be waiting to see what your results are like.
I think I shall take a trip down the same road as you and wash the rind on my cheese.
Is it normal for the 'blue' to be really powdery?

Regards,
Lindsay.
Divey
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:23 pm

sounds like drying out problem, try sticking it with a probe and see if the cheese sticks to it, to see how moist it is inside.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cheese Chat