Ready for a 2nd try

General Cheese making discussion

Postby Richierich » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:48 pm

Fallow Buck wrote:Juyst as a side,

In Rikki Carols book it says that you can add the candidum culture direct to the milk when you innoculate/ripen. Apparently it still works...

Not got round to trying it yet myself.

FB

If I understand correctly it might have got a double bubble, I did add some blitzed up skin and cheese to the milk and buttermilk.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:38 pm

Looks great :D !!! by the way, i found that blitzing the skins and adding to the milk is more then enough to get the blooming, 3 days and i get a very noticable bloom, so I dont put the skins on the outside anymore, was actualy experimented on with one of them. :)

(make sure u salt the ouside to protect from mould, bad mould, I used seasalt in a shaker and sprinkled it around the whole cake)
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:59 pm

Looks good Ritchierich! Hope I have as good success with it.

(The tough part is the wait for the aging process.)
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:01 pm

BlueCheese wrote:Looks great :D !!! by the way, i found that blitzing the skins and adding to the milk is more then enough to get the blooming, 3 days and i get a very noticable bloom, so I dont put the skins on the outside anymore, was actualy experimented on with one of them. :)

(make sure u salt the ouside to protect from mould, bad mould, I used seasalt in a shaker and sprinkled it around the whole cake)

Thanks for that, I might take the cheese skins off later then, sterilised tweezers at the ready!

I did salt the outside, just used plain old fine granulated salt, kinf of threw it at the edge and sprinkled it on the top and bottom, was not sure about turning the cheese on its side. Hopefully got plenty on, will soon find out!!!!
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:02 pm

BBQer wrote:Looks good Ritchierich! Hope I have as good success with it.

(The tough part is the wait for the aging process.)

Yeah, already marked my calendar with tasting dates. Problem is, I don't want to make any more until I know it works, but then you have a long wait before you can eat more, mind you space is a premium round here at the best of times, without a dozen cheeses ageing as well.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:24 pm

LOL, yup space can be a pain and all that hunidity regulating stuff, just go with the flow, And yup anticipation is the worst, waiting to bite in can be a long wait. Luckaly most of mine are 2 months now and been trying them. Starting to get ready for february for the next batches after learning what has happened to my first batches.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cheese Chat