Stilton - 10 days old

General Cheese making discussion

Postby BlueCheese » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:35 pm

Unless it might interfear with the needled holes I wouldnt, adds charachter ;) unless some recipe says to do so. Can also add to not drying out so fast.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:38 am

I fear the holes are already blocked by the soft outer layer, I was hoping that my removing the soft layer it would allow some air into the cheese to help the blueing.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:28 pm

I would just reneedle it.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:26 am

Well in the 2 weeks since the last post, I did indeed scrape some of the stuff off the edge, and re-needled it. I have started to eat it as it was cracking. I think I had let it become too dry. I was concerned about the slimey outside so at the weekend I wiped over the outer surface with very salty water, within about 3 hours the surface had dried and remains so.

The stilton also started to crack along its length, so I turned it into 2 halves, tastes great, although I still have a brie like consistency around the edge. Will try another batch maybe this weekend. Points to learn from last time, more weight for pressing and don't use Jersey milk.

As the weather is warming up a little (not the last couple of days, but it is the first day of spring) I may need to use the fridge as opposed to the cold garage, can a Stilton be produced only in a fridge, will it just take a lot longer?

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished article.

Richierich
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:53 pm

Looks very nice ! as long as u achive the recomended aging temp, should be fine. keep it in a container with salt water with the lid cracked to keep it moist.
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:00 pm

My concern is that the fridge may be a littel cooler than 9C (i think thats what I read).
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:53 pm

4-5C is used for Camembert acording to my files so i sugest sticking the thermometer in their and see what the norm is, day and night (some fridges vary allot)
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:00 pm

That might be why my brie is having issues, it is well above 4 degrees in the garage at present. Hmm, need to get the fridge back from my brother.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby BBQer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:50 pm

I'm aging brie right now. I had to use an ice chest to get the right temp. Fridge was too cold - 38F/3C. Spare room with window open getting too warm - 65F/18C.

I just put in a few ice cubes every now and again - enough to get the temp right - 50-55F/10-13C. Seems to be working so far, holding 87-90% humidity - just started it Sunday.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:50 am

Its all gone, tasted wonderful, only problem is the remainder got thrown away so I have no cheese left to reculture the next one. Still not sure about the slime on the edge, but even my Wifes cousin liked it, it was the first time he had ever eaten Stilton, and after trying mine and the Long Clawson Stilton he said mine was better. Suck up!
Richierich
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cheese Chat