Brie - 5 Days on

General Cheese making discussion

Postby BlueCheese » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:04 pm

Looks realy good, just needs more aging. Waht temp u using, if its too cold then will be very slow aging (50-54F) 2 months.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:52 am

Thanks for the positive comments, I am very pleased with it as this is my first Brie, in fact its only my second cheese, with the runny edged stilton my first attempt. Kind of funny that the stilton and the Brie look almost identical when you put the 2 photos next to each other, but the Stilton does seem to be drying out, there is a lot of moisture coming out of it at the moment, and it is blueing nicely.

As for the Brie it's stored in the garage, so anywhere I guess from a 2C to 10C if we get a warm day. Was gonna put it in the fridge, but my spare has been borrowed so am down to the one fridge at the moment.

Do you think re-wrapping the one I have cut is worthwhile, or is that only good to keep vacuum packed somewhere to use as the culture for my next go?
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:25 pm

I wouldn't re-culture a cheese you're not happy with, the balance of flora may be wrong or it may be infected. The boxed cheese I was so happy with at new year now smells of rotting cabbages (over grown with lacto baccilus?) and seems to be fermenting. I am in two minds whether to bin it or to persevere. I'll leave it but unlike my holey cheese I doubt I will have the courage to try it.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby BlueCheese » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:19 pm

Use it in cooking so its not wasted, Cheesey Pizza :D
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:44 pm

Have re-wrapped it and will try again in a week or so. Perhaps might be nice to embelish a pizza, with some chorizo and achovies.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:51 am

The brie will be cut into and examined again today, although I suspect it will be put in the bin, I had forgotten about it and left it in the "cave" in the garage, unfortunately I think the weather may have warmed up too much and I think it may be rotting, will keep the next one in the fridge.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:08 pm

:( give it funeral rights if needed :)
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Cheese Chat