OVERWHELMING AMOUNT OF INFO: Help?

General Cheese making discussion

OVERWHELMING AMOUNT OF INFO: Help?

Postby Ken D » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:13 pm

A simple search for cottage cheese brings up waaaaay too much, and diversified information.

The question: can an EDIBLE hard cheese be produced by buying and processing __storebought__ cottage cheese?
In this market, we have dry curd, and obscenely wet curd.
I do not know where the standards went, but the wet has much more liquid than 2 years ago.
I do not have the equipment or a physical facility (just yet) to start the entire process off. Besides, getting the basic stuff in Canada's not going to be easy, let alone within the initial budget.

Thanks in advance. KD
Ken D
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:03 pm

I thought about doing that myself at the beginning. I discarded the idea because they have additives in their that preserve it, also u need a proper culture to get the cheese u want, so u could inoculate it but the preservatives would kill it. If u able to get all natural and then inoculate it then it might work. :)
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:10 pm

A quick hunt through the tomes of information out there (yes there is a lot isn't there) reveals that "Farmer�s cheese is cottage cheese that has been pressed into a block, and in contrast to cottage cheese it may sometimes be aged." so it is certainly is possible. I'd start with the dry curd and see how you get on, unless the wet curd is substantially cheaper, bearing in mind the weight loss when you drain it.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Cheese Chat