Goat or Cow?

General Cheese making discussion

Goat or Cow?

Postby Matt B » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:46 pm

I know there are some styles of cheese that are traditionally made with either cow's or goat's milk but are there any that HAVE to be made with either kind? With raw milk laws what they are here in my area I can't find anyone that will sell me raw cow's milk but I have found someone who can sell me raw goat's milk. I'm just wondering what kind of cheeses I can make or if I can make any of them.

Thanks in advance!

-Matt
...whats that smell?
Matt B
Registered Member

Postby Heathers » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:49 pm

Hi Matt-

You're lucky actually! I believe most any recipe can be made with goats milk as long as you understand the difference between how the milks act (goats milk produces a softer curd, takes longer to get a clean break, etc). You can also combine the raw goats milk with some pasteurized cow milk with good success. Ricki's book has a recipe for Goat Milk Cheddar and I used half milk and half goat and it turned out fabulous!

I love raw goat's milk. Wish it wasn't so expensive. I use raw cow milk mainly because it's pretty easy for me to get near Seattle.

Experiment?
Heather
Heathers
Registered Member

Postby Heathers » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:50 pm

I forgot to mention, you can go to realmilk.com and look for sources in your state for raw cow and goat milk. That's how I found my raw milk suppliers.
Heathers
Registered Member

Postby 9mmruger » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:58 am

Thanks Heathers for that info. I will go there and see what I can find. :D
9mmruger
Registered Member

Return to Cheese Chat