Painful cheese

General Cheese making discussion

Painful cheese

Postby eggman6 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:57 pm

Does anyone know of a cheese so acidic that it hurts your mouth. I was informed of its existence, and as unpleasant as it sounds, i feel compelled to try such a cheese.
eggman6
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:42 pm

Try Mature Cheddar.

Superb avatar, by the way.
Last edited by wheels on Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby eggman6 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:18 am

I'm very familiar with mature cheddar, but i've never had anything that strong.

I believe the cheese i am after is firm, and cheddar like.

This isn't just something random i've read online, i was told about this by someone i know, who personally experienced the cheese in all its painful glory.

I emailed this online cheese shop place, and the responce i got seemed to imply any cheese this strong just isn't worth eating. Although they stock cheese that makes your mouth "tingle" as they put it. I will have to try and dig up the link.

Also what do you mean exactly about the troll thing?

Marc
eggman6
Registered Member

Postby BlueCheese » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:55 pm

U might be looking for a Blue cheese, they can develop a high acid content when old.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:32 pm

From http://www.cheesemistress.com/c.htm

Chaudron from France. $9.99 lb. at Grapevine. $5.79 for a huge slab. I bought this cheese because chaudron means caldron in French. The wheel of it was huge and there was a picture of a man stirring up some curds in a caldron. It is from the Haut-Jura. You can tell is definitely a mountain cheese by the way it smells. It is raw milk and has a cardboard-like brown rind. The paste is yellowish cream-colored. This is delicious, soft, creamy, a little tangy, and also a little mushroomy. It has a great mouthfeel. At first, it is creamy and lightly fruity, and then spicy in its finish. It burns my tongue a little. The first time I tasted it, I sneezed. I don�t know if it was the cheese or not, but the skin has peeled off the roof of my mouth like a pizza burn. It is like a strong Swiss, but it burns and makes my ears itch. It was great with Bordeaux, though. The Bordeaux took away all of the itching and really brought out the fruit, spice, and woody flavors in the cheese.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:45 pm

If my memory serves me correctly my Uncle became a bit of a Gorgonzola afficionado, until his throat reacted to it and his doctor told him never to eat it again :shock:

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby BlueCheese » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:55 pm

Sounds more like a allergic reaction, for something to become caustic and then eat it would be very unhealthy.
<a href="http://www3.telus.net/public/hsource/cheesemaking/">The Cheese Hole</a>
BlueCheese
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:49 pm

Yes, it was an allergic reaction.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Return to Cheese Chat