Kefir grains!

General Cheese making discussion

Kefir grains!

Postby vagreys » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:44 pm

I have found a source, here in the US, for kefir grains, including grains cultivated in raw goat milk. The thing that makes them remarkable is that they are selling the cultures for only $10-15, and not the $60 or more I often see. Yes, I know people are often willing to share excess kefir grain cultures for free, but I haven't been able to locate anyone in the Richmond area willing to part with any.

So, tomorrow, I go up to DC to see the Anglo-Saxon Hoard exhibit and lecture at the National Geographic Society, and then pick up my culture from a friend who added my order to hers. By Sunday, I'll have started fermenting goat kefir and preparing to make goat kefir cheese. Also planning to stop by Three Little Pigs Charcuterie, which uses organic, free-range pork, and is run by a forum friend.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby SausageBoy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:16 pm

You can get kefir grains for free, or nearly free, through Project Kefir (A Directory of FREE & Sometimes Not So Free Real Kefir Grains & Kombucha Tea.)

http://www.rejoiceinlife.com/kefir/kefirlist.php

:wink:
SausageBoy
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:39 pm

Good to know! Thanks.

And it turns out that Three Little Pigs won't be open for business for another week or two...
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Return to Cheese Chat