Curd not set - is there a remedy?

General Cheese making discussion

Curd not set - is there a remedy?

Postby wilder » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi,
I am making brie and my curd hasn't set. Is there anything I can do or do I just have to throw it away and start again?

The only problem I have had so far (apart from the curd) was keeping the milk and starter culture at 32 degrees for half an hour. I used to be able to do this on my old cooker, but my new one just can't cope! Even with two wire racks and a diffuser over the smallest gas ring the temperature still wouldn't go any lower than 33 - 34 degrees. Could this be why the curd hasn't set?

The recipe so far is:

8 pints milk
150g natural yoghurt (as a starter)
1/8 teasp of candidium penicillium

heat slowly to 32 degrees C (or 34 degrees in my case)
keep at this temperature for 30 minutes

Add 5 drops of rennet to a small amount of cooled, boiled water and stir into milk.

Wait for 3-4 hours and then cut curd (or not, in my case)

I have used this recipe in the past and it worked.

Any ideas, anyone? All advice would be gratefully received.
Chris
wilder
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:30 am

Have you checked the date on your rennet? It's very unforgiving if it's approaching, or past the use by date. Also have you tried adding calcium chloride to your make. A few drops ensure a good curd, especially with soft cheeses and with goats milk.

HTH

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby wilder » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Damn, rennet is out of date, and I never thought to check! I've got loads left too. :( I am going to see if I can order some, and some calcium chloride too, to bring back with me next time I am in the UK.

In the meantime I have pressed the curds anyway (and fed the whey to our pigs, who love it) and I will just have to see what happens. If it doesn't work then the pigs will get the lot.......... our loss is their gain! :lol:
Chris
wilder
Registered Member

Return to Cheese Chat