Type II Diabetes

Low Fat, Low Cholesterol, Diabetic, Coeliac or any other Special Diet or Food Intolerance General Chat

Postby Paul Kribs » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:53 am

Update on my diabetes. I have been discharged from regularly attending the clinic but still quite welcome if I need assistance or have a query, as they are pleased with my glucose control. They are still concerned about my weight and told me to have a 'google' for victoza liraglutide for weight control purposes. Tests on rodents indicate that it can cause thyroid cancer so I don't fancy that. From what I can tell, it acts as a fat-buster so probably gives similar gastric effects as byetta exenatide. It hasn't been cleared to be used in conjunction with insulin injections though.
Anyhoo, I will discuss that when I see the diabetic consultant in January. Haven't ridden my bicycle for ages now.. too bl00dy dangerous, and walking causes backpain and hip pain due to my weight.

Regards, Paul 'fatty' Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Another member of the "club"

Postby clpeters » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:36 pm

I was diagnosed at 25 (soon to be 50). I prefer stevia to Splenda. I actually grow the stuff for use in cooking.
Cyndi in FL
clpeters
Registered Member

Postby Gordon » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:10 pm

I was reading an article today re crash dieting can reverse or at least dramaticaly reduce the symtoms of diabetes ( I was diagnosed about 3 years ago ). A couple of things occured to me,

1) I was quit slim until I gave up smoking 15 years ago, like so many ex-smokers I have piled on the pounds ( appaently fatty deposits in the pancreas hinder insulin production )

2) I have always suffered from acid reflux and take huge quantities of antacid tables as well as some prescribed by my GP. ( an excess of external sodium bicarb can hinder the production of insulin )

I would like to know how many of you are ex-smokers and how many have acid reflux / really bad indigenstion ?
<a>Chop On Line </a>
Gordon
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:01 pm

Never smoked or had diabetes, but I did have really bad indigestion when I was approaching 95 kg a few years ago. Did the Atkins diet and got down to 70 kg, never had any problems with that since.

Cheers!
onewheeler
Registered Member

Postby SweetCharly » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:53 am

I have diabetes in my family and I was overweight and I've been reducing 25kgs through eating well and aside from swimming I'm now taking up a martial arts course. I hope that both are effective - this year it's all about prevention and keeping fit..
SweetCharly
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Dietary Chat