Type II Diabetes

Low Fat, Low Cholesterol, Diabetic, Coeliac or any other Special Diet or Food Intolerance General Chat

Postby hoggie » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:27 am

hi, waiting for the big fight, i too have been having weird dreams. wonder if they have changed the make up of the metformin. come on ricky :twisted:
hoggie
Registered Member

me too

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:44 pm

I guess there is something with old fat guys and making / curing meats, Hmmmm low fat, no sodium sausage (NOT).

I'm in the same gambit sugar, cholesterol and pressure all to high but my guy said cut the carbs over the fat... YEAH I get the protein diet. Was previously told was taboo for diabetics, we must stay balanced. That thought has now changed, the weight loss is more important. Was told can not sit and have three pounds of meat and cheese per day, bummer, organ meats still off the list.

So the pig production has been doubled, will do a second pig in two weeks, will post my results from my first one tonight. 8)
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby robin o » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:50 pm

Wotcha dave i am type 1 have been for five years .i am 64 next birthday .just little tip (sourdough bread is low gi ) and its the best bread you ever tasted . and not to hard to make . bonus is it will keep for days in the fridge apart from not eating sweets diabetes don't bother me at all . but i think its easy for me i just give myself a bigger jab .try making some sourdough bread you might like it
robin
new but keen cook
robin o
Registered Member

Postby Rivermute » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:37 am

Well I just got diagnosed with borderline Diabetes and high blood pressure yesterday. I kind of knew it was comming.. I was having some pretty nasty heart arythmias (genetic) that I wanted to check out and the other stuff came up in the blood work. I am only 28 and live a pretty monastic lifestyle (I didn't always). I don't drink or smoke but obviously I like food. I am on the heavy side but haven't gained weight in 5 years.. pretty stable as far as that goes.

Going to cut out sugar (don't have a sweet tooth) and lower the salt. No chips (crisps for you brits), pop or any of that crap processed food. I refuse how ever not to eat good homemade stuff at least within reason. Hoping that if I drop some weight I can fix the problem. I have also heard that green tea and cinnamon are good for pressure and blood sugar.

That being said I am making Brawn and Pork pies this weekend... for me making food is sometimes more important then the eating. I love it when other people take enjoyment from something I have made. I can get by with eating and enjoying just a small bit of the good stuff. Just wish I had found this site BEFORE I had the health issue lol.
Rivermute
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:08 am

I don't know a lot about diabetes but have just read about a major federal study in the NY Times today that might be of interest to those members who suffer from this disease.
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby Patricia Thornton » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:11 am

Sorry, I've lost track of the date, the above article was in Thursday's NY Times.
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:12 am

Thanks Patty, I'll have a look.
Rivermute, I'm drinking lots of green tea, also yerbe matte and rooibos. Whether they are contributing or not, I'm still steadily loosing weight (gradually) and rediscovering my waistline, in a good way that is :)

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:58 pm

saucisson wrote: also yerbe matte and rooibos.

sometimes when things come accross the pond you lose the trnaslation,

HUH :shock:
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:09 pm

yerbe matte or che mate, is an Argentinian bush related to holly, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_%28beverage%29

Rooibos or Red bush tea is a South African bush, see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:49 am

Ok I'm interested....

What do the do and how do they taste....
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Type II Diabetes

Postby panther » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Sorry that so many of you are members of the "Diabetic Club", of which I've been a member for thirty years. A reluctant member though. Good days, bad days, high readings, hypos, no apparent reason. There does seem to be a move now that fats might not be as bad for us diabetics as thought. We're encouraged to eat carbs, but these keep your sugar levels up! The side effects, nerve damage, foot ulcers, neuropathy, kidney and liver problems, eyesight changes, high blood pressure seems to go hand in hand with diabetes as does depression, what an illness.
Statins, fibrates, ace inhibitors, calcium blockers, diuretics, by the time you've had those in the morning there's little room for breakfast, plus, of course, fast and slow insulin three times a day.
Still, as long as you don't let it control your life, you can adapt, and still enjoy(?) life. I've now decided to take more interest in what goes into my food, hence more home-made foods, bread, jams, "healthy" faggots and sausages. Must try green tea, I've tried cinnamon, and a few other herbal type aids, didn't seem to make a difference.

What a varied forum this is, something for everyone, even the poorly.
What is the answer - that is the question
panther
Registered Member

Re: Type II Diabetes

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:08 pm

panther wrote: "healthy" faggots .

another translation lost across the pond...... :shock:
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:19 pm

Hi Iamarealbigdog,

I've seen this reaction before, Americans seem to giggle like little girls when faggot is mentioned. A faggot is a meat parcel like a burger containing offal spices and pork. The best recipe I've found is
Here. I'm sorry I don't believe that minority communities should be able to take certain words and change there meaning so that common folk cannot use them.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:19 am

Here, Here. :wink:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:34 pm

Iamarealdog, green teas are stuffed full of antioxidants so are supposed to be good for you in cancer prevention and a host of other things. Also, if you drink them just as an infusion with no milk, sugar etc then the drink is calorie free. Some teas, oolongs for example, are alleged to have good effects on metabolism, but that's a debatable point. The rooibos is supposed to have magical properties too. Mate is definitely supposed to be associated with metabolism stimulation and appetite suppression, and is, I suspect, what is working for me. It's hard to explain the taste of them, Rooibos (and it's close neighbour honey bush) tastes quite sweet, mate tastes like mate :), you just have to try it :)

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dietary Chat