Type II Diabetes

Low Fat, Low Cholesterol, Diabetic, Coeliac or any other Special Diet or Food Intolerance General Chat

Postby beardedwonder5 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:03 pm

I wonder who decides what is a side effect worthy of being printed on the patient leaflet, and what is an idiosyncratc reaction.

In the UK some important doctors wish all over 50's to take statins. I told my doc I was taking myself off the statin he prescribed. Pain. He, about to retire, looked at me and said "I would never take a statin even if my GP prescribed one."

This "important patient" would like all important doctors to take a statin for a couple of years. Jail, if they threw their statin away. I would repeatedly, and smugly, tell them of the benefits.

(The top UK drugs committee used to be called NICE, National Institute for Clinical Excellence. They changed the name to NIHCE, National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, because all the shopfloor docs were calling it the National Institute for Controlling Expenditure.)
GOS, yeah!!!
beardedwonder5
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:40 pm

My cholesterol level is 4.7. I've just taken myself off statins, after taking 1 pill the next day my heart was thumping like a brass band and I was suffering shortness of breath.

I haven't told them yet, I don't really care what they say, I ain't taking them again.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

diabetis

Postby culinairezaken » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:09 pm

how did you all realise that you have diabetes?
culinairezaken
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:50 pm

I failed an MOT, my CHO emissions were too high :)

By which I mean my blood glucose levels were too high, very few symptoms in my case but that is probably because they caught it early.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:17 pm

I gave up fags and got type 2 as a side effect.. only joking. I am sure the terrible shifts had something to do with it, as just prior to me retiring at 53, about 6-7 of my colleagues fell by the wayside. A couple of them were skinny, not fat like me.. I became borderline and tried to control it with diet, but was put on Teneret for blood pressure control.. then the glucose level rose, and so did the amount of tablets. I was later taken off the Tenoret when they concluded it helped bring on diabetes, and was then put on Ramipril for B/P control. Simvistatin wouldn't work so I was put on rosuvastatin.
When I was on Actos Piaglitazone my sugar was 9-11, now it is 17.8 ish to about 21... so I think I need insulin.
Also, my brother has type 1 uncontrollable and my nan died of diabetes related complications..
They have already told me that insulin will make me put on weight again, so I am in a 'no win' situation.

On the 'better news' side, I should be replacing my broken 'meat' freezer in the near future.. I have not tasted a sausage for about a year, not proper bacon... so if they give me medication to help me put weight on, I will be in a position to help them.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:18 pm

Oddley wrote:My cholesterol level is 4.7. I've just taken myself off statins, after taking 1 pill the next day my heart was thumping like a brass band and I was suffering shortness of breath.

I haven't told them yet, I don't really care what they say, I ain't taking them again.

Please be careful Oddley, your health is your wealth, best to tell someone and maybe get different meds.
Although I was told last year, exactly one year ago that if I continued to take warfarin I could die from internal bleeding before I get another blood clot, so they took me off them.
I was called back last month and they told me the new thinking is to be on warfarin for life.
When I asked about the u-turn in thinking I didn't get a proper answer...I am not taking warfarin now. Doctors differ and patients die, is the old saying.
Oddley get another opinion, it is worth it.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Oddley » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:57 pm

Thanks for the concern John. I will be going to the doc's, probably this week, to discuss with them my medication. I’ve have been reading that statins do have side effects, I may just be an unlucky one who gets them.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:21 pm

Hopefully that is it, maybe new meds will sort you out.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:00 am

Wow I qualify for another club membership!
I been type two for maybe 6 years, I'm not real good at doing what the doctor orders but I've been keeping it in fairly good control.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Re: diabetis

Postby tinca » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:53 am

culinairezaken wrote:how did you all realise that you have diabetes?

Do you really want to know :P

Well after bouts of peeing blood and kidney infections , flu like symtoms, blurring vision,sweats, coughing + passing out and headaches that lasted 2 weeks or more, i was getting a wee bit worried, i then went to the docs yet again about my problems and because i thought i had a lump under my armpit, still no joy after tests :roll: i had an appointment at the hospital for a laperoscamy??? ere drill down yer plonker to cut out a stricture because of the peeing blood and kidney infections :lol: :lol: :x and they weighed me and i had lost 2.5 stone :lol: which they thought was odd seeing as i wasnt on a diet, so some blood test were done there and then, the op was cancel and iwas told i had diabetes :shock: Strange after all the appointments with doctors it was a nurse that was one who took notice and took her worries to the doctor :wink:
When i look back i must have had diabetes for atleast 2 years before i was diagnosed with it, i suffered alot of illness during that time and could have potentialy died :oops: Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby tinca » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:02 am

Paul Kribs wrote:I gave up fags and got type 2 as a side effect.. only joking. I am sure the terrible shifts had something to do with it, as just prior to me retiring at 53, about 6-7 of my colleagues fell by the wayside. A couple of them were skinny, not fat like me.. I became borderline and tried to control it with diet, but was put on Teneret for blood pressure control.. then the glucose level rose, and so did the amount of tablets. I was later taken off the Tenoret when they concluded it helped bring on diabetes, and was then put on Ramipril for B/P control. Simvistatin wouldn't work so I was put on rosuvastatin.
When I was on Actos Piaglitazone my sugar was 9-11, now it is 17.8 ish to about 21... so I think I need insulin.
Also, my brother has type 1 uncontrollable and my nan died of diabetes related complications..
They have already told me that insulin will make me put on weight again, so I am in a 'no win' situation.

On the 'better news' side, I should be replacing my broken 'meat' freezer in the near future.. I have not tasted a sausage for about a year, not proper bacon... so if they give me medication to help me put weight on, I will be in a position to help them.

Regards, Paul Kribs

Paul you want to get yourself sorted quickly mate, your doctor should be kissing your bottom, not farting around, those levels are very high, are you t1 or t2 either way dont muck around ask for an appointment at the diabetic clinic and change your doctor if he/she dosnt pull there finger out, treat your illnes as a serious disease, youve already seen the consequences Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby tinca » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:12 am

Oddley wrote:My cholesterol level is 4.7. I've just taken myself off statins, after taking 1 pill the next day my heart was thumping like a brass band and I was suffering shortness of breath.

I wouldnt have thought that with a reading of 4.7 you should be on tabs, its not that high, mine was 13.5 so it was considered abit dodgy :lol: :lol: They used to have trouble getting blood out of me when having blood tests, in went the needle and nothing would come out, now i nigh on bleed to death when i take my sugar readings,simvastin is awful, i have search the net about this drug and theres been some nasty reports about it, people being rushed into hospital with acute pain all over, chest pain, leg , arms and loads of other side effects, i dont know why its still legal :? I had serious stomach cramps when first starting it then as time went on pain in my body got worse, evil stuff. Only problem now is they want to put me on something else, another version :( Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Re: diabetis

Postby DanMcG » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:37 am

culinairezaken wrote:how did you all realise that you have diabetes?

heres a link that gives the symptoms. I didn't have any of them but it showed up in a blood test while having a much needed physical exam.
http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/symptoms/
DanMcG
Registered Member

diabetis

Postby culinairezaken » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:07 am

maybe i should go see o doctor... Always thirsty, hungry, peeing like a watertap, always tired and fast aggitated.
culinairezaken
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:49 am

I now have my insulin pens and will be on slow release metformin in a few days, and we shall see how it goes. Only thing is have to inform DVLA and car insurance and medical travel insurance. Also been given more bumff to read..

Preparing to now get fatter, she said my appetite will now return.. maybe the booze will taste nice again.. :?

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to Dietary Chat