coeliac

Low Fat, Low Cholesterol, Diabetic, Coeliac or any other Special Diet or Food Intolerance General Chat

Postby wheels » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi M1Cat - welcome. Which one is it from Scobies?

Phil :D
User avatar
wheels
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 12211
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK

Postby wheels » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi again

Just looking, there's sample recipes on most of the sausage mixes, I'd use the same ratio's as they do in those.

Phil
User avatar
wheels
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 12211
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK

Scoobies

Postby m1cat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:00 pm

wheels wrote:Hi M1Cat - welcome. Which one is it from Scobies?

Phil :D


Hi ive just looked its the burger mixes and just seen the recipes silly me
but I will try sausages out of them I cant see any difference let you all know how I get on
User avatar
m1cat
Registered Member
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Re: oats

Postby m1cat » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:22 pm

rasher wrote:have just read an earlier reply and oats are also not allowed!

Hi Rasher it depends on severity of the condition my brother can not tolerate oats I was thinking about this plain snack o jacks can be substituted grinded up or rice pops things I would think they would make a good substitute hope this helps :)
Imagination​ is more important than knowledge
Albert Einstein:
User avatar
m1cat
Registered Member
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Re: oats

Postby m1cat » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:27 pm

m1cat wrote:
rasher wrote:have just read an earlier reply and oats are also not allowed!

Hi Rasher it depends on severity of the condition my brother can not tolerate oats I was thinking about this plain snack o jacks can be substituted grinded up or rice pops things I would think they would make a good substitute hope this helps :)

:oops: Rice krispies I forgot the name lol
Imagination​ is more important than knowledge
Albert Einstein:
User avatar
m1cat
Registered Member
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Gluten Free

Postby Padureni » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:12 pm

I am coeliac and make my own sausages, and have found the best substitute are Quinoa puffs, the mix will have the aroma of breakfast cereals but it cooks out, have also tried rice flakes and quinoa flakes good but not as good as the puffs.
Bill aka Padureni
Padureni
Registered Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:45 pm
Location: Lancing

Postby Fatmat » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:15 pm

I've been experimenting with making sourdough bread recently. I don't know if it is true but I've read lots about long fermented sourdoughs being save for coeliacs to eat because much of the gluten is digested by the action of the bacteria in the sourdough.
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
User avatar
Fatmat
Registered Member
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:17 am
Location: Pompey

Postby wheels » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:19 pm

I wouldn't go as far as to say 'safe for coeliacs', but sourdough suits some people who 'don't get on' with bread made using the Chorleywood bread process (used to make most factory produced bread).

Phil
User avatar
wheels
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 12211
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:29 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK

Postby Oddwookiee » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Fatmat wrote:I've been experimenting with making sourdough bread recently. I don't know if it is true but I've read lots about long fermented sourdoughs being save for coeliacs to eat because much of the gluten is digested by the action of the bacteria in the sourdough.


Be very, very careful about this. I have a friend of 25+ years whose wife has extremely bad celiac disease, to the degree that a drink of Southern Comfort will trigger a reaction, just because there's gluten somewhere back in the distillation or brewing process. If you're making a celiac-friendly item just for friends or family, ask them directly. Most people know their condition well enough to give you the nuts & bolts of their particular version.
Oddwookiee
Registered Member
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:32 pm
Location: Oregon City, OR, US

Previous

Return to Dietary Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest