Birds custard powder

Low Fat, Low Cholesterol, Diabetic, Coeliac or any other Special Diet or Food Intolerance General Chat

Birds custard powder

Postby Gordon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:33 pm

I was mooching around Tescos this evening and I noticed that Birds custard powder is, in fact, sugar free. It's only the added sugar when it's made up that makes it unsuitable but if it were made using Xylitol ( also called Xylobrit, Sorbitol and so on ) then it would be suitable for diabetics.

I am aware of the laxative effect of Xylitol and so on but in moderation it's fine and it reopens several doors, like my wifes home made ice cream :D for example

Just thought I'd mention it.

G
<a>Chop On Line </a>
Gordon
Registered Member

Postby tinca » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:22 am

ARE but are those sugar free alternatives good for you :?: There was a report on the net about one of them , that was supposed to increase glucose levels in diabetics, problem is i read so much i cant rember were i spotted it :oops:I only use sweetex in tea and thats it, even when making something like spag bol i will use carrots, garlic onions as natural sweetners, in bread only a teaspoon is used, its just the hidden stuff youve got to worry about, the only way your going to have a healthy diet is to grow your own veg and fruit , get meat from yer butcher or grow that too, filter yer tap water and cook everything from scratch, especially bread which contain alot of sugar and salt, i have this argument with my dietician who thinks supermarkets are a wonderful place for getting low sugar, low fat , quality food, they are in cuckoo land :?
tinca
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:01 pm

Have you looked at the use of the herb 'Sweet Cicely'; I know nothing about it other than it is mentioned as a natural sweetener for diabetic or slimming diets in my herb book.

Bird's custard was invented by Mr Bird as his wife had an allergy to eggs.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby onewheeler » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:14 am

I discovered recently from a nice article in the village newletter that Mr Bird of custard fame was born in our very small Gloucestershire village. Not much is known about his early days, but documents suggest that he came from a poor family.
onewheeler
Registered Member

custard powder

Postby allendbrook » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:58 am

Birds's is a big name in custard powder, but even Pillsbury produces it for other markets. If you can't find it, instant pudding mix is a great ...
allendbrook
Newly Registered

Return to Dietary Chat