Prednisone diet

Low Fat, Low Cholesterol, Diabetic, Coeliac or any other Special Diet or Food Intolerance General Chat

Prednisone diet

Postby vagreys » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Since my transplant in November 2007, I'm on prednisone for the rest of my life, and have been working on a diet that attempts to minimize the impact of prednisone side effects. I'd be happy to share/trade info, if anyone else is in this boat.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Fatmat » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:08 pm

I know that this is an old post, but I'll add my little bit in case somebody needs it at some point.

I've had a Bone Marrow Transplant and I've taken lots of prednisolone over the years as a result.

I found it really difficult keeping my weight down and found that a low carb diet helped - Loads of veggies and fresh meat and fish.

I also found that easily digestible carbs - sweets, cakes, white bread, pasta, booze and even pasta gave me really bad acid indigestion - I would either avoid them or use omeperazole or lanzoperazole to help control the acid.

Make sure that your calcium levels are high enough as steroids can cause osteoperosis.

Finally, ask your doctor about the risks of avascular necrosis - a condition common in transplant patients as the result of taking steroids. The blood supply to my femoral heads has died off and I am due a hip replacement as a result. I'm not sure what you can do about it because I didn't find out until it was too late.

I hope that these help.
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:07 pm

Fatmat wrote:...I found it really difficult keeping my weight down and found that a low carb diet helped - Loads of veggies and fresh meat and fish.

Yes. About 6 weeks after I started on prednisone, I was warned that I would start packing on the pounds, and I did. Fortunately, they were aggressive about stepping me down to my long-term maintenance level, and my weight stabilized. It has been difficult to lose weight, but I have been losing very slowly, and steadily, on my diet, which is a modified Mediterranean-focused diet, with an emphasis on mono-unsaturated fatty acids, and a reduced emphasis on carbs.
...easily digestible carbs - sweets, cakes, white bread, pasta, booze and even pasta gave me really bad acid indigestion - I would either avoid them or use omeperazole or lanzoperazole to help control the acid.

Yep. I have to take famotidine. Can't take the ones you list due to interactions.
...Make sure that your calcium levels are high enough as steroids can cause osteoperosis.

Yep. Pred also causes a drop in magnesium levels. I've added apricots and other magnesium-rich foods. I do have a problem with calcium from the renal failure, anyway, mostly corrected by the transplant, but not entirely, due to the pred. I'm also allergic to beef and bovine dairy, so dietary sources of calcium have to come other ways.
...Finally, ask your doctor about the risks of avascular necrosis - a condition common in transplant patients as the result of taking steroids...

This is not something that has ever, ever been mentioned. Thanks for that. I was just at clinic, Friday, but will certainly talk with my coordinator about this.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Fatmat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:41 pm

I figure that you probably know this... but just in case... don't use ibuprofen type pain killers - diclofenac sodium stuff - they screw your kidneys... as I have also discovered...slightly too late
What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease.
Fatmat
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:55 pm

Yes. As it is, I can't use most NSAIDS due to adverse reactions, anyway. Finding natural ways to manage pain and reduce inflammation have become something of a personal challenge.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

vagreys
Site Admin

Re: Prednisone diet

Postby RickyPaul » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:13 am

I am totally agreed with you vagreys that natural ways are always beneficial and good to follow to reduce pain. Nice information and i like this thread.
RickyPaul
Registered Member

Return to Dietary Chat