Over-wintering Chillies

Producing herbs, spices and vegetable matter

Over-wintering Chillies

Postby Rob12 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:44 pm

I have been told that it is possible and even advisable to overwinter chilli plants as the second and third year crops are significantly larger than the first year.

I got my various plants established very early in the year this year but they have really only started to flower and set fruit in earnest since mid-September so I brought them indoors earlier this week when the temperature dropped. I now have 9 plants in the kitchen and 9 in the conservatory (and another 4 aubergines that may need to come indoors too to finish cropping).

My question is - will they overwinter okay at normal room temperature and lighting levels (both locations get extended morning sun) or do they require some additional special treatment?

I placed them on trays and keep the local area quite humid. That can be maintained through the winter if needed. I also have a small heatpad that we used on a houseplant in our previous home (which never got much warmer than around 15C) which can be brought into use if required.
Rob12
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:11 pm

I have a chilli plant sitting in the window of my conservatory for the last 3 years..all throughout the year (except when flowering when I put it outside during the day for pollination) and it sits there through the winter, no special treatment of any kind just water and it gives me 2 nice crops every year.
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby Snags » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:40 pm

I lived in a temperate climate and would compare the same chillies one over wintered and another started fresh from seed, the new one produced more chillies.
Now Im in the sub topics and the over wintered one produces more.
So unless your glass house can replicate sub tropics I would just replant.
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby hotgoblin » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:55 pm

all my chillis are now indoors. I will cut them down to about 8 inchs high and keep them quite dry till early spring, then feed once a week seems to work for me
umm theres a funny smell in my fridge
hotgoblin
Registered Member

Return to Grow your own