Should Garlic be allowed to seed.

Producing herbs, spices and vegetable matter

Should Garlic be allowed to seed.

Postby yotmon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:27 am

Just a quick one. I had about a dozen large cloves of garlic left over last September which had started to sprout green shoots, so in my infinite wisdom I stuck them in a raised bed in the garden. Although we had a really crap summer, for a couple of weeks after planting the weather went mild and they started to grow, something I didn't want seeing as they were to overwinter. Anyway, the weather quickly reverted to type and after the snow, frost, hail and rain they have survived and grown on well, even though we've had the coldest spring for 50 years. They are now 38" high, but I've noticed that they are producing a thin shoot which I assume will become a seed head. Should I allow them to produce a flower/seed or will this take nutrition from the bulb. I expect them to be ready around the end of July so they still have a couple of months to grow. Your thoughts.

Yotmon.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Re: Should Garlic be allowed to seed.

Postby crustyo44 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi,
Over the years I have grown lots of garlic from small to the real large bulbs, All go to seed if you let them.
I always used to snip the seed stalk off as it improves the size of the bulbs according to an old Italian neighbour I had.
Good Luck,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby yotmon » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:34 pm

Cheers Jan, thought as much but didn't want to cause any damage to the plants without asking first. I have grown garlic years ago but planted them in March and harvested them the same year, this is the first time i've allowed them to grow over winter. Thanks again.

Ste.
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm." - Sir Winston Churchill
yotmon
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:16 pm

garlic shoots(scapes) are pretty good in stir frys
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby DiggingDogFarm » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:11 am

I let the bulbils grow and use the bulbils in pickling and the like.

~Martin
~Martin
Unsupervised rebellious radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, self-reliant homesteader and adventurous cook. Crotchety cantankerous terse curmudgeon, non-conformist and contrarian who questions everything!
DiggingDogFarm
Registered Member

Postby Kaiser Soze » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:20 am

I've always harvested before they seed, but Jan's advice of cutting out the seed stalk is a good one.
Kaiser Soze
Registered Member

Postby Ruralidle » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:26 am

I saw a tv programme about the Isle of Wight garlic farm where they allow the seed head to develop a bit then cut them, dip them in tempura batter and quickly deep fry them to a light golden brown. Allegedly they taste nice, but I haven't tried it.
Ruralidle
Registered Member

Return to Grow your own