How do you store your herbs?

Producing herbs, spices and vegetable matter

How do you store your herbs?

Postby porker » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:32 am

Hi All,

I have been saving ex-carryout tubs for storing my herbs in, but as I now find myself needing to buy a much larger range of herbs and spices, to experiment with, I was wondering how everyone has overcome this problem of storage?

There are a lot of airtight containers for sale out there, but they are quite expensive if you need to buy 6 - 10 or maybe more...perhaps someone has a headsup for some great value local to them...

Thanks again

:)
porker
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:41 am

Hi Porker,

If you have a Tesco near (I don't know your location) they do a 'value' range of plastic tubs. In particular a small round one which is ideal for herbs and spices. They are around the 30 pence mark and I buy them 10-12 at a time, it doesn't break the bank.
While you need the variety, I think small quantities at a time are better. Herbs and spices really lose their potency if kept too long and if you can't use a large quantity quickly you will find yourself having to bin it.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Postby porker » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:28 pm

Thanks Jen,

Tesco is 25 miles away, but next time I'm that direction I'll try and remember what I'm after.

:)
porker
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:10 pm

Blimey; you've managed to find somewhere Tesco haven't populated and cornered. :lol:
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby aris » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:25 pm

I just use a zip-lock bag, squeeze as much are out as I can, then pop it in the freezer.
aris
Site Admin

Postby dougal » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:33 pm

jenny_haddow wrote:..Tesco ... do a 'value' range of plastic tubs. In particular a small round one which is ideal for herbs and spices. They are around the 30 pence mark and I buy them 10-12 at a time, it doesn't break the bank.
The Tesco I looked into today had 0.3 litre rectangular Baco plastic tubs, 4 for �1.30. Didn't spot Jen's.
But they don't do mailorder, as such, for such stuff AFAIK. Lakeland do...
http://www.lakelandlimited.co.uk/ and search for product ref 3029
Very nice but not really cheap. That's Lakeland!
Years ago, I got 2 packs of Ikea plastic tubs (should have had more). They are about 4" square (no wasted space), all take the one size of lid, but are different heights giving different capacities, and they store as a single stack. Excellent for the freezer. Fine for what you're looking for. But if Tesco haven't discovered your hermitage, I seriously doubt that Ikea have! :D
Have you got a local Pound Shop?
dougal
Registered Member

Postby Quidnunc » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:03 pm

Hi

I am a newbie and saw these posts so would like to add my twopenoth.

I have grown a range of herbs, peppers and chillies for the first time this year. Ipurchased a domestic vacuum/sealer ready for the harvest and I hope to dry the produce and vacuum pack them. Do you think this would work?

Quidnunc
Quidnunc
Registered Member

Postby johnfb » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:28 pm

johnfb
Global Moderator

Return to Grow your own