Wild Morel Mushroom

Producing herbs, spices and vegetable matter

Wild Morel Mushroom

Postby akesingland » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:25 pm

Hi Guys

I have been looking recently into growing oyster mushrooms on a old paperback book! http://www.gourmetmushrooms.co.uk/book_recycler.htm. I recently found some mushrooms growing on a pile of wood chips near the hospital where I work, I could not positively identify them so I threw then away. My friend beat me yesterday sitting outside a pub drinking, he spied a single morel growing on woodchip mulch in the beer garden. He only found one weighing a mighty 3 grams. Anyone else interested in wild mushroom collecting?

Cheers
Adam
akesingland
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:52 pm

I bought an oyster mushroom kit from a different site and spent a fair bit of time and effort getting three mushrooms. I don't think I'd bother again :)
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby akesingland » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:07 pm

Hi Dave

Was it a book thing or a compressed block of straw?

Cheers
Adam
akesingland
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:26 pm

Ive tried the shitake kit, sprinkling packet into split logs, incubating for 3 months (I think) and the sink logs into the ground, spores looked like they had spread into split logs but never got anything, maybe it was too dry but left them for nearly 2 years, also have been on a organised mushroom walk which although very helpful at the time, when your on your own uncertainty creeps in and you daren't try them apart from the obvious like shaggy ink caps and a couple of others
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:09 am

HI Adam

I am fortunate that from Sept to Feb I go beating with my dogs through woods that never or hardly ever see another person in them and the mushrooms / fungus that is growing in them is second to none. I have tried a few, guided by one of the old game keepers and now I can identify more than I could a couple of years ago but I am very much still learning.

Cheers WW
Only those who go too far know how far they can go TSE
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:00 am

akesingland wrote:Hi Dave

Was it a book thing or a compressed block of straw?

Cheers
Adam

It was a block of straw. It showed great promise as it cropped 3 times with hundreds of tiny spore heads bursting forth, but each time 99% of them then shrivelled to nothing while one developed into a full sized mushroom. Maybe I did something wrong and in other hands there would have been a full crop each time in which case it would have been great.

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby akesingland » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:45 pm

Hi All

My oyster mushroom grow on a book kit is still growing myceleium. When it is totally covered I need to "shock" it in the fridge for two days then take it out for it to fruit. Will let you all know how it goes!

Cheers
Adam
akesingland
Registered Member

Postby Fallow Buck » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:21 am

I bought a box of mushroom plugs whic I think were Pearl Oysters. I've put them into two logs and I'm waitng for them to do their thing.

Fingers crossed!!

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Wild mushrooms

Postby Big Guy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:09 pm

How about some grilled Morels and asparagus.

I collect wild Morels in May, in Sept we get Shaggy mane and field mushrooms ( just like you buy in the store)
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby akesingland » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi Big Guy

At the moment, if it were wetter we would have field and horse mushrooms. Last week I had a few Fairy ring mushrooms. We get Morels in April/May over here. It looks like a wonderful supper!!

Cheers
Adam
akesingland
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:49 pm

Big Guy,
Those pans with the holes are superb for cooking over the BBQ, I marinate vegetables and put them in a 'holey' skillet and cook on the BBQ... good alternative for those peculiar veggie only people as well as a side dish for the carnivors..

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

The whole meal

Postby Big Guy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:34 pm

Big Guy
Registered Member

Re: Wild Morel Mushroom

Postby Ianinfrance » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:42 pm

Hi
akesingland wrote:Hi Guys
Anyone else interested in wild mushroom collecting?
Yup. Unfortunately we don't seem to have many morels here. However, we do find about 12 edible and excellent other species easily available, 8) so we don't go too short. I think my favourite, for general purpose use are chanterelles (cantharellus cibarius) but the tastiest when used as a principal element are bordeaux cepes or penny bun (Boletus Edulis). However, I really like making Horse mushrooms (Agaricus Arvensis) into soup, their size and weight makes then really worthwhile and their aniseedy sort of flavour is wonderful in a classic "cream of mushroom soup". I always look forwards to the mushroom season, partly for the fact that it's also the game season, but also for themselves.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Epicurohn » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:46 pm

Big Guy,

Are those Double Baked Potatoes to the left of the Bean Salad? Mind sharing the recipe?

Thanks,

David
Epicurohn
Registered Member

Return to Grow your own