Using The Plot by Paul Merret

Producing herbs, spices and vegetable matter

Using The Plot by Paul Merret

Postby Gordon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:14 pm

My wife and I have been thinking of getting an allotment and have signed onto a couple of waiting lists in our area earlier this year.

Whilst on holiday last week I came across this book, Using The Plot by Paul Merett, it tells the story of how he and his family tackled an untamed allotment in west London within earshot of the M4 and the trials and tribulations of the project, I think he could have been writing about my family. The second half of the book is a recipe book using a lot of the produce from the allotment for ingredients and is just what you would expect, but the first 175 pages are absolute magic.

Just thought I'd mention / recommend it
<a>Chop On Line </a>
Gordon
Registered Member

Postby lemonD » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:24 pm

Gordon,
Allotment orientated site http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/
Like this site, lots of GOOD friendly advice.

LD
lemonD
Registered Member

Postby Gordon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:28 pm

Thanks LD, looks good, I need all the help I can get. Chris, my wife, thinks I go over the top sometimes and, I'm not sure but, I think this is one of those occasions.

She has admitted defeat with sausages, bacon, ham, elderflower cordial ( although she did think I was making up a herbal potion to poison her), beer, cheese, smoked salmon, and chickens as well as a passing interest in making bread ( I have to admit breadmaking doesn't come easily to me and I generally make bricks !! )

Gordon
<a>Chop On Line </a>
Gordon
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:50 pm

Gordon, as too breadmaking, have a look at this .pdf, it is an authorative guide, that if you follow, you will not go too far wrong.
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi Gordon

I wrote about making bread recently here. It's best made with a machine as it's for a bread with a soft crumb so is very sticky!

There's also a post on there about a ciabatta style loafand cheese and onion rolls.

Soft bread rolls will be added shortly.

I don't claim any of these recipes as 'traditional' - but they work for me and my family and friends luv 'em. :D

Hope this helps

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby johnfb » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:59 pm

Wheels, can I ask is this your blog??
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:18 pm

John

Yes, It's part of my site which promotes local food in Leics - the difference between mine and some others is that I actually go out and find small farm producers, those who sell from the farm door. Listing on the site is FREE. I just do it as a hobby. It costs me a fortune as I end up buying things everywhere I go! :lol:

I regularly mention this forum in the curing/sausage related posts.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:20 pm

No worries here :)
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby johnfb » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:31 pm

wheels wrote:John

Yes, It's part of my site which promotes local food in Leics - the difference between mine and some others is that I actually go out and find small farm producers, those who sell from the farm door. Listing on the site is FREE. I just do it as a hobby. It costs me a fortune as I end up buying things everywhere I go! :lol:

I regularly mention this forum in the curing/sausage related posts.

Phil

It's a great site. I love the bread making bit, I have just got back into bread making and am strangly excited about the different types of bread i am making. My wife thinks I am nuts getting so worked up about a second proving and the lovely air pockets in the bread
Just made some half and half whole meal white flour rolls on saturday...really sweet and lovely and I am making some of the onion and cheese ones from the blog this week. My wife wants to try them as she is addicted to onions,
Just wanted to say the site is really good and well done on it, I just didn't want to say that if it had nothing to do with you.

Hopefully the cheese and onion bread will be added to my wheels keepers along with the breakfast sausage blend... :D
johnfb
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:34 pm

John

No problem - glad you like it. :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Grow your own