First Go

Producing herbs, spices and vegetable matter

First Go

Postby Wilf » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:26 pm

Just received electric mincer and casings, thought I'd jump straight in and make some meguez, for first attempt they turned out great, have just BBQ'd them no problem, the pork shoulder might have been a little bit too lean but otherwise I'm converted to homemaking.
Cheers Franco
Wilf
Registered Member

first go..

Postby Franco » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:18 pm

Sorry for the delay with the mincer, we had problems with our supplier in Germany. :evil:

Are you going to do some chilli sausages and if so can you publish the recipe?

Going off at a tangent... I have grown chillies at home over the last few years with varying success and wondered is it too late to start planting now in a green house, would I get chillies before winter or will there not be enough light?

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby aris » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:46 am

I grow chilles too. In years past I did the small hot ones, but this year i'm doing larger milder ones (still growing). I'm not sure if now is the right time to start growing from seed, but if you have plants which are already mature, you can certainly keep them alive if you protect them from the frost & cold in a greenhouse.

I got my seeds from http://www.chillifire.co.uk/ - they have quite a selection.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Wilf » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:32 pm

Bit late now Franco most chilli plants are started from seed in about march time, giving fruits about now, apart from the hotter varieties which need a good long season with good weather, you can start earlier but will need to keep them indoors and you can overwinter fruited plants indoors as some cut them right back and it will start again the next year, but watch out for bugs whiefly etc.
I hope to be trying sausages with various fresh chillis as some hotter types have great flavours, eg habanero's, scotch bonnets and naga's, although they are very hot I like the taste as cayenne styles are medium hot but not much taste, will post results as I try them
Plenty of info can be found on my site.......

http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/pages/growingtips.html
http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/phpBB2/index.php
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:56 am

Wilf,

Can you give more info on overwintering? Do you keep them outdoors when overwintering, or in a greenhouse, or what?
aris
Site Admin

Postby Wilf » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:07 pm

I've never got any thro but haven't really tried as I start different ones each year, but I think most of the successes have been cut right back and probably kept indoors, I know of a medusa lasting 3 years which is a small pot one.. I see you've had a look on my board so hopefully you should find some answers on there.
Wilf
Registered Member

Return to Grow your own