beans

onions, leeks and asparagus

taters

tomatoes

cukes and dill

Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Sun May 30, 2010 10:02 pm

You have some good looking soil. My garden is about two weeds from gettng plowed under. Dang deer have invaded me and left skips all up and down my rows. Never had trouble like this year but I can't stand to look at a skip. I'm so tempted to just plow it under and do a fall garden.
Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Mon May 31, 2010 12:25 pm

Yes deer can be a problem, they wander through my garden at night , but don't do much dammage, they trim my beets a little. I thought they would eat my emerging beans but they don't touch them. I don't think I could give up. just re-plant the spaces with beans, lettuce or radish, quick growing things.
Have a great gardening season.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:12 am

They've even eaten the tops out of my hot peppers. Didn't think they'd mess with these. I think the main problem was I was out of town for a week and my dog was at the hotel. I'll have plenty to pick but man do I hate to see the skips they've created.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:22 am

Coons are my biggest pest. They love my sweet corn. They know when its ripe and move in.. My garden is in so I am on the move. Right now I'm in Atlanta and will be in Florida by the afternoon to set up our new home. have a great day where you are.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:52 pm

Don't have much problem with coons but if the deer keep it up I can always try the peas and beans again in the fall. Much nicer picking weather to boot.

Good luck on setting up the home. Will this be a permament residence or your home just while the geese are down this way?
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:33 pm

Just got internet, 2 days with out it is hell. LOL I will follow the geese south after out deer season ends and winter in Fl. at our new home. got to figure out how to grow stuff here too. :lol:
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Zulululu » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:31 pm

Hi Big Guy, Just looking at those footsteps in that lovely soil you have are you pigion toed or have I got it the wrong way around? :lol:
Yes move to Florida you can have all the tropical problems I have.
No one knows more than all of us.
Zulululu
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:35 am

Well the deer have destroyed my peas and green beans. Ate the tops out of all my peppers as well. Peas are a total loss. Beans are about 80% loss. I think they learned something about the peppers recently though. They are also wreeking havoc on my cucumbers too.

This is what it looked like last year at this time but if you envision this without the green then it is what the scavenous creatures have left me.

Looks like I'm going to have to do a fall garden for my peas and beans after I put up some electric wire. I'll also be doing some heavy thinning of the herd this fall. They ought to be quite plump with all they've eaten.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:15 pm

Sorry to hear that. I imagine it will cost quite a bit to protect such a large area.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:55 pm

It looks like one side is already protected; it is always important to note ceramic caps on the tops of fence posts or you'll make a shocking discovery. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:35 pm

Smoked nuts anyone?
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:51 am

wheels wrote:Sorry to hear that. I imagine it will cost quite a bit to protect such a large area.

Acually its not expensive. I already have chargers but I have never had a problem here so I didn't plug one in. :oops: (the wire was to teach the bulls what a fence was) They can actually be stopped very easily with a single wire placed at 30 inches if you charge it before its planted. Its pointless to even attempt to stop them now cause the garden is theirs. Six strands won't stop them now.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:25 pm

That's interesting, thanks. I didn't realise that it's more about 'conditioning' the animals rather than actual physical prevention.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:51 pm

Yes, I guess conditioning is what it is and a good way to put it. Its also interesting to note that if you are going let the deer eat the remeains of the garden you have to completely take down the single wire or it will not work next year. Apparantly its the newness of the fence accompanined with the electrical shock with no reward is what conditions them. I didn't do this one year at another garden and I'm pretty sure the knowledge was imprented in those deer and a garden is out of the question at this location.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Next

Return to Grow your own