Seems my tomatoes have just stopped + melon advice

Producing herbs, spices and vegetable matter

Seems my tomatoes have just stopped + melon advice

Postby Richierich » Fri May 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Planted out my toms a few weeks ago, had a couple of coolish nights, but had them protected under a table with a curtain over the top.

They do not look any different to the day I planted them out, in terms of condition, but sadly also in terms of size, are they just taking a bit longer than expected to get used to outside.

Planted in containers against a south facing fence, full sun for most of the day.

Also, decided (foolishly perhaps) I wanted to grow something different this year, bought a melon plant, anyone tried growing "sweetheart"? I was thinking outside, although i am concerned it won't be humid enough, I have a small wood/plastic growhouse that is half in and half out of the shade, although very small footprint, would have to grow up, only about 4' high though.

Thanks,

Rich
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sat May 21, 2011 11:43 pm

What have your daytime temperatures been like? Tomatoes like warm weather; we've already had a couple of 80F (27C) days here. I've never grown melons, maybe Big Guy or Jogeephus can advise.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Big Guy » Sun May 22, 2011 12:58 am

both tomatoes and melons like warm temps. They get cold shocked and their growth is stunted by cool night temps. Some tomatoes take on a purple colour in their viens. Once cold shocked they take a long time to recover. A plant set out say 2 weeks later usually outproduces a shocked plant. You don't gain anything by trying to rush the season. That said we all still do it. LOL
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby homer » Mon May 23, 2011 8:58 pm

i planted a few tomato seeds in 6 pots 2 years ago and put them in a south facing window..window is about 4m wide
couple of months later and a few re-pots it was an overgrown jungle..had to keep cutting back just to see the tv screen and watering became a real task..thirsty little buggers
never going to grow them indoors again :oops:
just used some tomato feed stuff from b&q and that was all
homer
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Tue May 24, 2011 10:01 am

Big Guy wrote:both tomatoes and melons like warm temps. They get cold shocked and their growth is stunted by cool night temps. Some tomatoes take on a purple colour in their viens. Once cold shocked they take a long time to recover. A plant set out say 2 weeks later usually outproduces a shocked plant. You don't gain anything by trying to rush the season. That said we all still do it. LOL

I thought it might have something to fdo with overnight temperatures, have protected them well, but with lows down to 5C here overnight I guess that's the problem. Hopefully they will pick up given some warm weather......

Not having a lot of luck this year, lost a whole tray of radish to what I think was cabbage root fly, lettuce won't grow for toffee and the tomatoes are paralysed. At least the sweet peas seem okay aas well as the onions, so will have something to come from the garden at some point.

Having said all of that I am off to Brazil for a couple of weeks, leaving Mrs RR in charge! Fingers crossed.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Wed May 25, 2011 1:55 am

Melons just take time and plenty of heat but not too much direct sun when they are making or they will scald. This is one instance where it sortof pays to let the weeds grow up to shade them - sometimes.

On both, you can help sortof buffer yourself by laying black plastic down. This will warm the roots and buffer them from some of the cold. We do this here to try and catch the early market on melons. Doesn't always work but it can pay when it does.
Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Postby Snags » Wed May 25, 2011 5:37 am

I have had no luck with melons in temperate australia but the y grow well in the sub tropics.
Tommatoes need warm soil they say if its too cold to sit your naked bum on the soil its too cold to plant tomatoes
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Wed May 25, 2011 11:14 am

Snags wrote:I have had no luck with melons in temperate australia but the y grow well in the sub tropics.
Tommatoes need warm soil they say if its too cold to sit your naked bum on the soil its too cold to plant tomatoes

The tomatoes are in full sun all day long, so the soil is warm, but, when I water them I am using tap water, not likely to be that warm.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby Jogeephus » Wed May 25, 2011 4:06 pm

Richierich wrote:
Snags wrote:I have had no luck with melons in temperate australia but the y grow well in the sub tropics.

The tomatoes are in full sun all day long, so the soil is warm, but, when I water them I am using tap water, not likely to be that warm.

Next year try a mulch of black plastic. Job a hole in the plastic and plant your plant. This will make the ground heat up quicker and it will also retain moisture. I think you will see a big difference and you will not have to weed as much.
Patience please, I'm just trying to get on the learning curve.
Jogeephus
Registered Member

Return to Grow your own