Recipe for Vietnamese Nam Chua?

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Recipe for Vietnamese Nam Chua?

Postby JerBear » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:37 pm

A friend of mine has asked me to make this for him but the only recipes I could find call for the same seasoning packet... From the descriptions I've read it seems like an unsmoked mettwurst or teewurst.
JerBear
Registered Member

Re: Recipe for Vietnamese Nam Chua?

Postby ComradeQ » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:21 am

They all use the mixes. I asked a friend of mine, she is Viet and a great cook, and she said she has never known anyone to use anything but the mix. I have no idea the spices in said mix, just that it also contains a cure to get that pink colour. Try any Asian grocery and they will carry it, around here there are tons of great places (meat prices are always amazing, seafood fresher and cheaper than anywhere else).

Now I'm craving some bun with nem chua, shrimp on sugar cane, and grilled pork. Mmmmmmmm!
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:26 am

I'm a huge fan of nem chua but it kills me to think that the packet's the only way to fly. I think I'll have to suck it up and give it a go once and then try to suss something out after. My buddy said that he thinks his mom adds her own spices but might not be able to translate everything. I love a good mystery!
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:43 am

JerBear wrote:I'm a huge fan of nem chua but it kills me to think that the packet's the only way to fly. I think I'll have to suck it up and give it a go once and then try to suss something out after. My buddy said that he thinks his mom adds her own spices but might not be able to translate everything. I love a good mystery!

I have made it with the spice mix and it turned out great! If you find out the actual spices and cure I would love to know as well.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby RodinBangkok » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:50 am

I played with it years ago, there's nothing magic about the lobo powder, or others, I used cure#1, sugar, msg, galangal and ginger, you can make a paste using fresh galangal and ginger (much better than powders), and coconut sugar or palm sugar.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:51 am

BTW the ingredients according to the package are: Glucono Delta-Lactone, Glucose, Dextrose, Salt, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Monosodium Glutamate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite, Spices.

So if we figure out the spices part maybe we can work backwards to figure out quantities of the other ingredients (although half of them are unknown to me)

The package recipe is:

1. Chop 1/2 kg. (1 lb. 2 oz.) lean pork sirloin while it is fresh and cold.
2. Cut 250g. (9 oz.) cooked prok rind into small long strips and keep cold.
3. Combine all ingredients with the contents of this packet. Add 3 tbsp. chopped fresh garlic and 20-30 fresh red chilli peppers.
4. Knead until the mixture becomes sticky.
5. Pack tightly into plastic containers and seal off. Allow at least 24 hours at room temperature before serving. In refrigerator, Nam has a shelflife of 1 week.
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:53 am

Thanks Rod!

Funny thing is ComradeQ I have most of the chem stuff except for the Glucono Delta-Lactone but I was imagining something like a fermento....
JerBear
Registered Member

Postby ComradeQ » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:00 am

JerBear wrote:Thanks Rod!

Funny thing is ComradeQ I have most of the chem stuff except for the Glucono Delta-Lactone but I was imagining something like a fermento....

Yeah I looked it up, it is a non-dairy product made by microbial (bacteria or yeast) fermentation of a carbohydrate source (corn or rice) and is used to add an acidic flavour to foods. I wonder if fermento would work?
ComradeQ
Registered Member

Postby JerBear » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:15 am

I don't have Fermento but I did purchase some buttermilk powder which I hear is either the same thing or interchangeable with Fermento...
JerBear
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats