Rauchfleisch

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Rauchfleisch

Postby ericrice » Tue May 21, 2013 3:47 pm

In sharign some of my coppa recently someone was telling me about a german speciality they have had - Rauchfleisch. Told them I would see if I could get the recipe and attempt to make it for them. Search on the internet, this site, Poli's site all coming up empty.

Anyone ever made it?
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Re: Rauchfleisch

Postby wheels » Tue May 21, 2013 4:51 pm

I've never made it, but I'm guessing that it's smoked as Rauch is German for smoked (according to my Google translate!)

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby ericrice » Tue May 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks Wheels. He indicated it was smoked and that it was pork. From what he described it was a whole muscle but based on what I have been able to gather it is actually beef. Hopefully someone will have the recipe.
Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist – does what pays the bills really matter?

Eric
ericrice
Registered Member

Postby crustyo44 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi Eric,
I have a commercial recipe for Rauchfleisch ( Rookvlees in Dutch) somewhere in all my paperwork. It is beef. It's needs to be sliced paper thin.
I can translate the recipe for you, just email me. janooms10@yahoo.com
I have never made as we live in the sub-tropics and the temperature here makes it nearly impossible and also lack of spare time but I remember it well with fond memories.
The Europeans only use Peklosol to cure the beef which contains only cure#1. Would # 2 be better?
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Wed May 22, 2013 2:34 am

Rauchfleisch as Phil has mentioned is German for smoked meat/s ~~~ can be beef, pork or if you want ~~ poultry

I placed Rauchfleisch in the search engine on a German sausage forum that I frequent and got 26 hits from beef to pork.

http://www.grillsportverein.de/forum/ra ... d-wursten/
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats