Turkey and San Fran Style Salami Drying

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Turkey and San Fran Style Salami Drying

Postby Kizer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:43 pm

Just got through the fermentation phase. Looking good :) There is an accumulation of fat at the bottom of one of the salamis, which is concerning.

Image
User avatar
Kizer
Registered Member
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Turkey and San Fran Style Salami Drying

Postby BriCan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:58 pm

Kizer wrote:Just got through the fermentation phase. Looking good :) There is an accumulation of fat at the bottom of one of the salamis, which is concerning.


any idea on how that occurred ??
But what do I know
User avatar
BriCan
Registered Member
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:07 am
Location: West Coast of Canada

Re: Turkey and San Fran Style Salami Drying

Postby Kizer » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:18 am

BriCan wrote:
Kizer wrote:Just got through the fermentation phase. Looking good :) There is an accumulation of fat at the bottom of one of the salamis, which is concerning.


any idea on how that occurred ??


I am unsure, but maybe the direct heat during fermentation caused it. I used my temperature controller on my chamber connected to a small heater. I usually use a lizard heating bulb, but do to the temperature in my garage this winter I had to step it up. The ambient temperature never got passed 85F 90RH.

My hope is that it does not ruin the salami, but I will have to wait and see.
User avatar
Kizer
Registered Member
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Turkey and San Fran Style Salami Drying

Postby Kizer » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:50 pm

The more I think about this, the more concerned I am. If the fat rendered, which I am sure it did, then some areas of the sausage reached at least 100F. That gives me a 26 degree window for the F-LC culture to take hold.

On the bright side, a couple salamis seem unaffected, and the large turkey salami is looking good.
User avatar
Kizer
Registered Member
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:19 pm

Re: Turkey and San Fran Style Salami Drying

Postby BriCan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:35 am

Kizer wrote:The more I think about this, the more concerned I am.


just hope that you are keeping records :?
But what do I know
User avatar
BriCan
Registered Member
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:07 am
Location: West Coast of Canada

Re: Turkey and San Fran Style Salami Drying

Postby Kizer » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:24 pm

BriCan wrote:
Kizer wrote:The more I think about this, the more concerned I am.


just hope that you are keeping records :?


Always. I have a digital copy of every salami, or cured solid muscle I have ever made.
User avatar
Kizer
Registered Member
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:19 pm


Return to Recipes for cured meats

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests