Turkey Rashers

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Turkey Rashers

Postby kimgary » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:28 am

Hi Ladies and Gents,

I am going on a diet, has anyone "made" turkey rashers?, could I just cure a half side of turkey as I would for bacon and then slice it up on my slicer, should it keep the same amount of time as normal pork bacon?

Thanks in advance

Gary.

Edit: meant to say dry cure.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Re: Turkey Rashers

Postby NCPaul » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:54 pm

Are you looking to make turkey bacon, which here is made from ground and reformed cured turkey meat, or are you looking to cure and smoke a turkey breast then slice?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby kimgary » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:14 am

I was looking at dry curing one whole side of a turkey breast allowing the same rules thickness wise for bacon, using cure number1, rinsing off after alloted time, leave in fridge a couple of days then slice and grill or fry.

I would then vac pac the remainder as I do my bacon, would not want it smoked at the moment, my normal bacon lasts easily 3 weeks in the fridge at 2 degrees.

Regards
Gary.
My biggest fear in life is that when I die my wife sells all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!!
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby Slarti » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:52 pm

Without knowing, I would guess that turkey might cure quicker than pork, due to being a less dense meat?

I am confused by a "side" of turkey though. Is that just the breast, or the breast and boned-out leg?
Slarti
Registered Member

Postby kimgary » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:59 pm

Sorry, half a breast, I guess I should have side half a Turkey crown?

I can't see a problem if it did cure quicker because the cure I use is basically fail safe so the ingoing nitrates should not go any higher than the formulation?

Wheels, you there for a comment, I cure my pork bacon with your recipe from your blog.

Kind Regards
Gary.
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:05 pm

I've trouble writing 'cos I'm in bed on my side. When you say bacon, do you intend to fry it like bacon? Or, use it like cooked ham?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby kimgary » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:08 am

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear you are laid up hope you get well soon, "the forum needs you". :-)

I intend to cook it, fry/grill just as i would for my bacon.

Kind Regards
Gary.
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:41 pm

My gut feeling is that Turkey breast is a whole lot different to pork loin or belly. I was hoping you'd want turkey ham 'cos I know a forum member with a great recipe.

As to the bacon: try it. Maybe lower the salt a bit and add more herbs/spices or different sugars for flavour... ...but don't overdo the sugar, otherwise it'll burn.

And my tip of the day?

When dieting, strong flavours mean that you can use less. Strongly flavoured, high calory, items can be a real secret weapon.

Please post back with your findings.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby kimgary » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:50 am

Thank you Phil, will post back when I have tried it.

Would be very interested in the Turkey (ham) recipe if you have a link please?

Kind Regards
Gary.
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:56 pm

The turkey recipe was my adaption of NCPaul's adaption of the one posted by CW here:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5166

Maybe NCPaul would assist by posting his to ave me the typing.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby NCPaul » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:37 pm

This is what I use for curing a turkey breast:

73 grams kosher salt
1 quart water
(2) 16 ounce bottles of 7-Up (Sprite or other lemon-lime soda)
42 grams of cure #1

It is based on one Chuckwagon posted. I only cure the turkey breast for 6-8 hours in a ziplock bag. In general, I'm not a fan of these "hot" short cures, but raw poultry has some special hazards. I cure the whole breast with the skin on. I pat it dry and then hot smoke it at 250-275F with wood chunks at the start for about 5 hours. The internal temperature I look for is 155F (70C) (carryover will take it a bit higher). You can take it a bit higher if it would be more comfortable to you. I rest the breast overnight in the fridge. The next morning I remove the skin, take the meat from the bone and slice deli thin. Look up "Kentucky Hot Brown" for a good sandwich idea. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby kimgary » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:08 pm

Thank you for all your input Gents.

Kind regards
Gary.
kimgary
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:47 pm

Paul, what do you mean by " "hot" short cures"?
DanMcG
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats