Pheasant, Partridge, pigeon and Rabbit recipes

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Pheasant, Partridge, pigeon and Rabbit recipes

Postby Sam3 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:48 pm

Good evening everyone, I have been a busy boy and now have a freezer full of pheasant breasts and partridge crowns, as well as pigeon breasts and whole rabbits

Love to use these to make some charcuterie products, what recipes / products can you all recommend?

I will have my air drying chamber up and running shortly,

Looking forward to all your recommendations

Regards Sam
Sam3
Registered Member

Re: Pheasant, Partridge, pigeon and Rabbit recipes

Postby janejskelton » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:17 am

I don't like to eat rabbit but my younger brother is a rabbit eater. He especially loves the flavors of rosemary and Riesling wine with rabbit. before someday he made a recipe I just share it with you.

1 whole rabbit, dressed
Red pepper or cayenne
Freshly ground black pepper
Salt
Fresh rosemary sprigs
1/2 lemon, juiced
mild olive oil
2 shallots, minced
1 small onion, minced
1 1/4 cups Riesling wine, preferably Alsatian
low sodium chicken stock
fresh thyme sprigs
1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream

In a zip-top plastic bag large enough to hold the rabbit, season meat liberally with salt and peppers, add 2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil, a couple of sprigs of rosemary and the lemon juice. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Remove the rabbit from the bag and discard the marinade. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven and brown rabbit all over until golden brown. Remove rabbit and set aside. Lower heat to medium-low and in the drippings, sauté, without browning, the shallots and onions for about 8 minutes or until translucent and soft. Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup of Riesling, scraping up the brown bits until completely dissolved. Return the rabbit to the pot. Add the remaining cup of wine and enough chicken stock to come halfway up the meat. Add 2 or 3 sprigs of rosemary, a few sprigs of thyme (don't both taking off the leaves). Put a sheet of aluminum foil over the pot and cover so it's sealed tightly. Put in the oven and cook for two hours, turning the rabbit over after one hour.

Remove the rabbit and cover with foil to keep warm. Strain the sauce and if it seems like too much liquid, return to the pot and reduce over high heat until there are about a cup and a half or 2 cups. Add 1/4 cup cream and cook for 2 or three minutes. Taste for seasoning, adding salt, pepper and more cream as desired. Serve rabbit with sauce on the side.
janejskelton
Registered Member

Re: Pheasant, Partridge, pigeon and Rabbit recipes

Postby wheels » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:14 pm

That's a great recipe. Thanks for posting it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Recipes for cured meats