Coppa from Corsica

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Coppa from Corsica

Postby Syrae » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:47 pm

I've been doing my best to find a Corsican (not Italian) recipe for coppa on the interwebs but other then some difficult to understand you tube clips my googling has come up empty.

The first time I ever had coppa was on the island itself and I'd really like to recreate that flavour... We where all surprised about how it tasted (and since I'm a dutchy, spending most my holidays in France\Italy eating la cuisine du terroir.... I've had some excellent charcuterie)

Also I'm very much new here, trying to step up from old fashioned Dutch spek to something more difficult :D

Any help in this direction would be seriously appreciated!
Syrae
Newly Registered

Re: Coppa from Corsica

Postby wheels » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:50 pm

Interesting, and new to me.

This is a EU protected product. The details about the requirements for the product can be found here:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Le ... 014:EN:PDF

I'm sure that the specific breed of pig and it's age have much to do with the flavour.

I hope this helps. Please keep us informed about your progress.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Syrae » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:54 pm

Thx!

No mention of herbs used sadly and I vividly remember at least ground pepper.

Yes the Corsican meat is exceptional. It's all raised ranging freely across the island, eating all the wild growing herbs (incredible amounts of thyme and rosemary and marjoram growing wild)

It's ranging that free that when driving around in the night you've got to be careful of crashing into a cow and a calf lying on the sun heather asphalt (almost happened twice)

That veal meat is like nothing I ever tasted elsewhere rather. Super succulent, but a dark read with a very remarkably deep flavour.
Syrae
Newly Registered

Postby Dibbs » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:16 pm

This paragraph

"The processing relies on natural processes. Historically, the only ingredients that were available were
salt, pepper and sweet pepper and they are used still today in the production of the PDO (no
preservatives). Curing is carried out by using heat from the burning of local hardwood."

How does curing use heat?
Dibbs
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:10 pm

Confusion in translation?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Recipes for cured meats