Salt Beef Recipies

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Salt Beef Recipies

Postby Oddley » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:21 pm

I'm still looking for Salt Beef recipies as deb has not yet e:mailed me hers probably to busy who knows. Anyway came across these two while scouring the net. I'll probably give them a go when I have time.

Old World Corned Beef

1 Beef Brisket, slightly trimmed of excessive fat (not all fat) about 5-8 lbs.
1-� Gallons fresh water
3 cups kosher salt, may require more after testing
4 cloves of fresh garlic, peeled
1 large onion, rough chopped
2 tablespoons whole mustard seed
2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
1 tablespoon whole cloves
3 tablespoons whole peppercorns
2 large bay leaves
1 tablespoon thyme, whole leaves

Use a large enameled or stainless steel (not aluminum or cast iron) roasting pan or crock. Mix the salt and the water and stir for several minutes until all the salt is dissolved. To test the cure for the proper amount of salt, place an uncooked egg into the brine. If the egg does not float, dissolve about � cup of salt at a time, testing with the egg after each addition to see if the egg floats. When the brine passes the egg float test, combine the remaining ingredients and add the brisket. Submerge the meat using a heavy object such as another stainless steel pot or a non-porous ceramic plate or two. You want to make sure the brisket remains completely submerged at all times. Cover and refrigerate for 8 to 12 days, turning the brisket once every other day. The thicker the brisket is, the longer it will take to fully cure. If you run out of time, you can just go ahead and cook it with reasonable results after about 4 or 5 days. Remember, this technique was designed to preserve the meat, and that may not necessarily be the goal today.

Spiced Beef

This Is a traditional Christmas dish.

Ingredients

10-14 lb.. corned silverside of beef
half oz. saltpetre (potassium nitrate, if you can get it)
1 tb, salt (I Think this is supposed to be 1 pound of salt)
half lb. demerara sugar
half lb. ground allspice

Method

Rub sugar well into beef and leave for 12 hours. Rub in salt. Leave for 12 hours Baste well. Continue to baste well every day for 2 to 3 weeks. Weigh beef and place in a large pot. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Cover pot and simmer, allowing 30 minutes per lb. pIus 30 minutes. May be eaten hot or cold. If the pot is too small for the beef, cut the joint into smaller pieces and cook individually.

giblin.co.uk

As I said I have not tried these yet so if anybody tries them before me please let me know what they came out like. cheers.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby mike » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:49 pm

The first one is vey similar (if not identical) to the corned beef recipe in 'Preserved' (even down to the egg test bit).

Had ours on Friday - delicious. Tastes like a good, juicy, not too salty, ham but with the texture of beef.

Well worth a try. In fact there is a bit left in the fridge, must go - I feel the urge to make a sandwich.....

Cheers
Mike
mike
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats