spanish back bacon

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

spanish back bacon

Postby kajady » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:27 am

hi ya folks

Progressing in the old world of sausage I suppose. But i have a question for all you paprika lovers out there. There is supposedly a type of spanish bacon which is rolled in parprika and then dry cured. The paprika has to be smoked in order to give the back bacon a smoky flavour

I was wondering first whats the best way to dry cure something and second if anyone has a recipe for this spanish back bacon

Note by Spuddy: Topic moved to correct section
Discovery is the height of excitement
kajady
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:39 am

Nope, no info on a recipe for the bacon with smoked paprika, but here's a source for the paprika, let us know if you come up with something.
http://www.tienda.com/food/pimenton.html?KNC-Google
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby Spuddy » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:12 am

Could you be talking about Lomo which is a Spanish cured pork loin eye.
Try a search for "lomo" and you should find some info. Paul Kribbs made some and posted pictures I remember.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

yeah it is called lomo

Postby kajady » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:58 am

I created something with the characteristics I wanted though. A very mild heat, loads of paprika, hint of cayenne and a very heavy cold smoke. This is not the typical way of doing it but hey it worked for me. And the taste was exquisit. The presentation of it was also very good for the loin that I used turned out fabulous.
Discovery is the height of excitement
kajady
Registered Member

Postby Big Guy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:13 pm

When I make Canadian back bacon. I wet cure a loin in a solution of 20 cups cold water, 1 cup coarse salt, 1 cup brown sugar and nitrate cure#1 as per manufactures instruction (1 tsp./5lbs). After curing in the fridge for 2 days/inch of thickness. I then remove the loin let it dry for a few minutes then roll in corn meal. You could follow this recipe but roll in smoked Paprika.
Big Guy
Registered Member

Postby Richierich » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:36 am

I have considered adding smoked paprika when dry curing bacon, haven't tried it yet, still topping up the levels of normal stuff.
Richierich
Registered Member

Postby wildschwein » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:13 am

Yes smoked paprika is an excellent product and is all the rage in Australia nowadays. You know a product is popular when it is sold by the generic supermarket brands.

I usually use it to faux (=mock) smoke foods. Putting it in meatloaf, sausage mixtures and hamburgers gives them a nice smokey taste. You can use it in brine and dry cure mixes too. I have even seen people use it in Gravlax type cures for fresh salmon in order to fake smoke it. So I assume it would work if you rolled a piece of cured pork in it.
wildschwein
Newly Registered

Postby adventureswiththepig » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:39 am

I know I'm coming to this topic 4 years late but....

I saw some the other day at the London Charcuterie festival. It appeared to be pancetta rolled in paprika.

Any leads on how to make it would be much appreciated.
My pork blog: http://adventureswiththepig.wordpress.com
Follow me on twitter @pork_adventures
adventureswiththepig
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats