Char sui

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Char sui

Postby Josh » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:20 pm

I was looking into char sui (the red covered pork you get in chinese dishes) when I found this article and recipe.

http://www.tigersandstrawberries.com/20 ... -char-sui/

Anyway to save you the hassle of reading it it says how the red colour on the outside used to come from nitrates in the marinade which cured the meat but now they just use red food dye.

Do you think they just left the cure on a day and so when you cooked it you got just a pink outside with a grey middle like the red dyed stuff is nowadays?

Completely random though that maybe no one has any idea on but it's being bugging me since reading the article.
Josh
Registered Member

Postby shanew » Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:18 am

I have a recipe for char sui that has a lovely red glaze but this is from the marinade not food colouring, it's on my pc at work so i'll have the post the recipe on friday when im back. Mai Hung a friend of mine gave it to me, it's their familys recipie from back home
Save the enviroment, we cant afford to loose more animals, what will we use for variety in sausges, i for one would have liked a dodo banger!
shanew
Registered Member

Postby somerset lad » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:25 pm

shanew wrote:I have a recipe for char sui that has a lovely red glaze but this is from the marinade not food colouring, it's on my pc at work so i'll have the post the recipe on friday when im back. Mai Hung a friend of mine gave it to me, it's their familys recipie from back home

I would like the recipe please. Love it. :wink:
good growing ,good eating ,good game , good life
somerset lad
Registered Member

Postby shanew » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:05 am

sorry for the delay, im having trouble finding my memory stick with all my stuff on, im sure i have a copy elsewhere so i'll have a good look.
Save the enviroment, we cant afford to loose more animals, what will we use for variety in sausges, i for one would have liked a dodo banger!
shanew
Registered Member

Postby shanew » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:47 pm

finally found my memory stick,

500g Pork fillet
4 cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
50ml light soy sauce
50ml rice wine
2 Spring onions, shredded
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp hoi sin sauce
2 tbsp yellow bean sauce
1 tbsp vegetable oil
60ml Honey
1 pinch salt and fresh ground black pepper

Method
1. Using a sharp knife, make slashes along the pork fillet.

2. Combine all the remaining ingredients, and marinade the pork for 2-3 hours, or overnight if you can.

3. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Drain the pork from its marinade and place on a rack set over a roasting tin half-filled with hot water.

4. Cook the pork for about 40 minutes � after 20 minutes, turn the meat over so it colours on all sides. Baste regularly with the extra marinade left behind in the bowl.
shanew
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:47 pm

I do a similar marinade, but with added garlic, and marinate pork belly strips (⅜" to �" thick).. cooked on the BBQ.. It also turns slashed chicken breast into something edible done the same way..
I do like to marinate it for about a day though.
Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby shanew » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:04 am

My recipe has garlic in, 2 cloves of it.

Whats your recipe Paul, it's always good to try variations
shanew
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:32 pm

Must be my dodgey old eyes.. I missed it..

The recipe I generally use is below.. I chop and change the ingredients/amounts (just gauge it with my old dodgey eyes..) :lol:

Chinese style pork belly

1 1/2 kilos of pork belly, cut into thin strips 3/8" thick.

Marinade

3 tablespoons of Hoi Sin sauce
3 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
2 teaspoons of salt
1 heaped tablespoon of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of medium sweet white wine
3 bay leaves
1/2 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon of coarsely ground fennel seeds
3 cloves of crushed garlic
1 heaped teaspoon fresh grated ginger
1 teaspoon of ground black peppercorns

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Joshua » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:45 am

Just reviving a thread from the past, using a slightly different user name as I can't remember my old login details.

I'm still intrigued by making char sui and using cure 1 or cure 2 to impart that pink edge rather than red food dye.

So how much cure would I use and how long would I leave the meat marinating it if I just wanted to cure the outside 5mm of a piece of pork and it still be safe to eat (obviously)?

Thanks
Joshua

Postby captain wassname » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:49 pm

2 gms of cure no.1 per kilo of meat
I would think 24 hours would give you the pink.Its really a matter of experiment but at 2 gms per kilo It is safe to leave longer.
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby Joshua » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:55 pm

Cheers.

Isn't 2 grams a standard amount for curing? Same as I'd use for an air-dried ham for example.

I was concerned that with me only wanting to leave it a day (so I just got a thin layer of cured meat around an uncured middle) and then cook straight away that it would be too much cure.
Joshua

Postby captain wassname » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:13 am

You might very well get away with as little as 1 gm.
If you are concerned start at 1 and work up or down as you think fit.I know that you can get pinkness in say bacon with as little as 50 ppm but this is over a longer period of time.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby Joshua » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:17 am

Thanks for the responses.

I tried it at the weekend and used 1.25gr per kilo. Left for a day there was the slightest pink tinge around the edge.

Think I'll try again with same quantity and 2 days and see how that fares.
Joshua

Postby captain wassname » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:18 am

Good stuff glad your getting there. If 1.25 works in 2 days its likely that 1gm will do the job.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:29 pm

Welcome back :) Do you want me to reset your password and email on the Josh account or are you happy with your new name/identity?

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Next

Return to Recipes for cured meats