Culatello

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Culatello

Postby gamecook » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:13 pm

Anyone out there know how to make culatello? I am having a tough time finding a recipe. I know it's made from the largest muscle in the ham, I know it's salted and dried. That's about it. I am looking for recipes, tips on air temperature, use of Instacure, etc. Anyone? Anyone?
I Love All God's Creatures, Properly Prepared.
gamecook
Registered Member

Culatello

Postby kajady » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:04 am

hey yous
Culatello is one of those famous things lost in the pages of history. I did read about it once but thats only to read that you can't get it anymore.
Discovery is the height of excitement
kajady
Registered Member

Re: Culatello

Postby foodjunkie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:52 pm

kajady wrote:hey yous
Culatello is one of those famous things lost in the pages of history. I did read about it once but thats only to read that you can't get it anymore.

You can indeed still get culatello from at least two sources in the States.

http://www.salumeriabiellese.com/retail.html
http://www.salumicuredmeats.com/
http://www.salumicuredmeats.com/salumist/main.htm

I've been fortunate to have opportunities to try both and they are both wonderful products.

As far as curing it yourself, perhaps Mr. Batali or the folks at Biellese would be willing to give you some tips? Couldn't hurt to ask...

Good Luck!
foodjunkie
Registered Member

Postby Billy Rhomboid » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:21 pm

I have decided to have a go at culatello with the current batch of pigs we slaughtered. It really is not easy finding proper recipes as the few posts on the topic on here attest.
I did come across this page though, which I don't think has been mentioned here before:

http://www.tastegurus.com/index.php?opt ... 0&Itemid=1

Not the most detailed guide but more info than I have found elsewhere.
Billy Rhomboid
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:32 pm

Its more about method and conditions than recipe as such, as Im finding with my Basque hams :)

You need to take a look at Po valley ambient conditions and create 'cool, damp cave/cellar with ample airflow followed by warm, but still humid' type set up!! easier said than done believe me.

Other than that is basically just a hacked up pigs leg rubbed with salt and wine (combined with an excellent maarketing strategy) :D :D
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby Scotty2 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:08 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVMSZHFt51E

This is a link showing how to stuff and tie it. As far as harvesting, I think I can dig something up, give me a little time.
Scotty2
Registered Member

Postby DangerDan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:45 pm

quietwatersfarm wrote:Its more about method and conditions than recipe as such, as Im finding with my Basque hams :)

You need to take a look at Po valley ambient conditions and create 'cool, damp cave/cellar with ample airflow followed by warm, but still humid' type set up!! easier said than done believe me.

Other than that is basically just a hacked up pigs leg rubbed with salt and wine (combined with an excellent maarketing strategy) :D :D

Did someone say wine?? :lol:

After some reading and thanks to YouTube I've decided to try a couple after the new year...
DangerDan
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:55 pm

Dan, Let me know when you are starting and I will do them at the same time so we can compare notes :D
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby DangerDan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:15 am

quietwatersfarm wrote:Dan, Let me know when you are starting and I will do them at the same time so we can compare notes :D

The biggest problem I find in my area is fatty pork. All this lean meat being good for you is killing me.. :lol:
DangerDan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:04 pm

I don't know whether this helps, but it has quite a bit of info:

http://woolypigs.blogspot.com/2010/11/h ... n-and.html

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Scotty2 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:50 pm

DangerDan wrote:
quietwatersfarm wrote:Dan, Let me know when you are starting and I will do them at the same time so we can compare notes :D

The biggest problem I find in my area is fatty pork. All this lean meat being good for you is killing me.. :lol:

Dan, if you're located in Michigan, there is a place in Traverse City that has Mangalitsa.
Scotty2
Registered Member

Postby beardedwonder5 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:18 am

Wooly Pigs (and links) VERY INFORMATIVE. Good one, Wheels.
GOS, yeah!!!
beardedwonder5
Registered Member

Postby Billy Rhomboid » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:18 pm

DangerDan wrote:

Shame you are so far away. The four pigs we just slaughtered had a good 4 inches of backfat on them and were beautifully marbled.

Well the first experimental culatello is hanging in the maturing shed (or outdoor toilet as it was once known). I used a beef cap rather than a pig bladder in the end, because I had them to hand, and hadn't thought to request the bladders from the abattoir.
Billy Rhomboid
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:09 pm

beardedwonder5 wrote:Wooly Pigs (and links) VERY INFORMATIVE. Good one, Wheels.

I'm afraid I harbour major concerns about Heath Putnam's views and strategy. Pulling a load of Wool over US eyes. :x
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Postby quietwatersfarm » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Billy Rhomboid wrote:Well the first experimental culatello is hanging in the maturing shed (or outdoor toilet as it was once known).

Great stuff! how did your muscle separation go? what recipe salt cures and process are you using?
quietwatersfarm
Registered Member

Next

Return to Recipes for cured meats