Frankfurter with cure #1 added

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Postby wheels » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:31 pm

sausagemaker wrote:Hi Oddley

In answer to your first question, superphos is a blended phosphate & the wheat flour would be either a carrier or bulking agent, the soya would be used as a water retainer as it will soak up to 5 times its weight in water.
We get the similar results by adding E450 which is a diphosphate to the seasoning to give a maximum of 0.4% in finished product although this can be doubled.This chemical has the ability to move the pH of the meat to enable it to hold on to water & therefore give a more succulent product or cheaper dependant on your slant.
This would not soak up as much water so if this was required we would advise the use of soya or filler in the recipe.
From my own personnel experience I would not use soya in this manner as it is best used to emulsify the fat not the water, however the soya does need to be re-hydrated before is can work so in effect it is also taking care of some of the extra water although this is not its function.

Regards
Sausagemaker

However please note that it refers to diphosphate.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... hate#16684

http://www.americanspice.com/

Sodium phosphate helps bind, retain moisture, and increase shelf life. Add maximum of .5% by weight.

P.S. Permission granted for hot dog rolls - I make them often.
Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Amesphos is not "Supaphos"

Postby wea100 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:56 pm

Bill Ames here, marketing director of The Ingredient Store.

For what it's worth, "Supaphos" is not Amesphos. We have made a cease and desist request for them to remove our trademarked product name from their web site.

This is not to say that their phosphates aren't any good, but it is not Amesphos, which is a proprietary blend developed by my late father, Joe Ames.

You can order AmesPhos from The Ingredient Store's web site.

Thanks!

--Bill

wheels wrote:Dan

Supaphos is the UK name, try here:

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php ... cts_id=760

It's known as Amesphos in the US.

Phil
wea100
Newly Registered

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:07 pm

Bill

Thanks for letting us know that.

To clarify, the product sold by Butcher and Packer isn't Amephos? I trust that you can see that I was acting in good faith based on the information I had.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Amesphos is not "Supaphos"

Postby wea100 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:30 pm

No problem Wheels!

I just didn't want people thinking that the two products were the same if they found the post, that's all. Supaphos and AmesPhos are not the same. Let me put it another way...Butcher and Packer are certainly not authorized to use the trademark.

There are all kinds of phosphates, and different blends will yield slightly different results. Some phosphates work better with seafood, some work better with red meat, some work at different temperatures...some make better laundry detergent!

For small, home-made batches, the variances are probably small with most cold water, food-grade phosphates, so it's best to try slightly different amounts/blends to find your preference. AmesPhos was designed to work well for all sausage blends and seafood.

"Your mileage may vary" :-)
wea100
Newly Registered

Postby wheels » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 pm

Many thanks for that. Are their UK suppliers for amounts suitable for the amateur curer?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby saucisson » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Thanks Bill for taking the time to put us straight (very politely too, so double thanks :) )

I hope now you've found us you will stick around. At best I'm an enthusiastic amateur so it always helps to have a few people in the trade posting.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Iamarealbigdog » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:06 am

saucisson wrote:Thanks Bill for taking the time to put us straight (very politely too, so double thanks :) )

I hope now you've found us you will stick around. At best I'm an enthusiastic amateur so it always helps to have a few people in the trade posting.

Dave

Very nice to have the source here...

Please do stick around... Cheers to Bill
Cheers from The Big Dog
www.lesnoiracochon.com
http://blog.lesnoiracochon.com

Where tasty things happen
Iamarealbigdog
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Recipes for cured meats