Sodium Nitrite

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Sodium Nitrite

Postby sausage apprentice » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:36 pm

I need some help with dry cure for chorizo sausages.
I have mixed a batch of 10lbs rock salt, 4oz sodium nitrite and 1llb suger and a couple of handfuls are rubbed in a short belly and these are stacked one on top of another. Next day the bellies are rotated, water drained off and two more handfulls of salt mix are rubbed in each belly.
Next the bellies are rotated and water drained, no more salt added kept for another day. Meat is washed and minced for Chorizo.
My question is:
1)Am I using the right formula and acheiving the result using the above method.
2)Nitrite turns the meat pink but the colour is light pink in between each layer and dark brown black on the exposed sides.
3) Does nitrite have a expire date? and over a length of time does its effectiveness reduce.
4)I do not get a deep red colour in the finished product. I add paprika, is colour added to Chorizo.
5)I see on ready made Chorizo labels that dextrose is added, what does it do and what quantity is added? Does it replace the suger in the rub?
6) I also see sodium ascorbate added, what does it do and what quantity is added? Doesit stop the sausages going rancid once dry and during its long shelf life.
7) Is there anyother additive need to be added to comply to regulations and to improve the product.
8)Where can I buy dextrose and sodium ascorbate?
9) A final question once the mixture is filled in skins and hung to dry, should smoke be introduced when the sausages are wet in the begining or half way through when they are half dried.
I have been looking at this forum sometimes and have picked up a lot of useful information. One can never stop learning
sausage apprentice
Registered Member

Postby aris » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:07 am

I've not seen the method you wrote about there - it sounds to me like you are making bacon.

Try this recipe:

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/index_fil ... ourico.pdf

Len Poli has a few recipes, but this one looks the best to me.

His recipes are at:

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/page0003.htm
aris
Site Admin

Postby Oddley » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:06 am

I am a little shocked. Where did you get 4 oz of Nitrite it is illegal to sell it in this country without being mixed with salt.

Nitrite is a poisonous substance and should not be used in the way you are using it. 1 gm consumed will make you ill 8 gm will possibly kill you 12 - 13 gm consumed will definitely kill anybody.

The reason your meat is black on the outside is because of nitrite burn this happens when you use to much nitrite.

There is a wealth of information on this forum please take your time and go through it or you may end up hurting yourself or others.

I would strongly suggest you don't eat the bellies that you have cured already.

Click the link below to get you started.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributi ... J0974.html

Sodium nitrite is not the right chemical for dried sausage cure #2 is the right mix to use, which is a combination of sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate.
Oddley
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats