Smoked dry cure

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Smoked dry cure

Postby tinca » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:44 pm

I use the smoked dry cure from this site , but a couple of things just aint right with it,
1: it aint as salty as one would like

2: it aint as smokey as i would like it

So how much salt could i add to increase or add a saltier flavour to the 40gram per kg mix

To add smoke could i use smoke liquid or powder and in what amounts.

I would add i dont like really salty bacon but alittle does make it taste nicer to me, the cure used is to sweet for me :D Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby Mike D » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi Gaz,

I used to get my bacon dry cure from the site and found it not smokey enough, so I just used to add a couple of pinches of smoke powder (again from the site) - I wasn't very precise about it though - I should have measured :roll:
Cheers,

Mike
Registered Member

Location: Border of Bury/Bolton up on the moors, Lancashire, England

Re: Smoked dry cure

Postby Ianinfrance » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi Tinca
tinca wrote:I use the smoked dry cure from this site , but a couple of things just aint right with it,
1: it aint as salty as one would like

2: it aint as smokey as i would like it

So how much salt could i add to increase or add a saltier flavour to the 40gram per kg mix

To add smoke could i use smoke liquid or powder and in what amounts.

I would add i dont like really salty bacon but alittle does make it taste nicer to me, the cure used is to sweet for me :D Gaz

Actually, for most bacon I find it's smoky enough, but for a couple of cures, I wanted to make it smokier. I use liquid smoke, and use it by brushing the bacon after it has formed the pellicule. But I'm sure the dried smoke powder from Franco would work just as well, merely add a little extra to the cure.

I agree with you about the salt. So I added another 10% of salt, mixed it in very carefully, and use the cure at 4.5% instead of 4%. I find it's much better.

HTH.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:16 am

There was some discussion regarding the strength of the smoke powder HERE

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby tinca » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:11 am

Cheers for the replies, could you use liquid smoke with the cure ie: at the start of the curing process, if so how would be a starting point :shock: Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby Ianinfrance » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:06 am

Hi,

I don't quite see how to combine liquid smoke with a dry cure. Might work if you brush it on first and then rub with the cure, but I'm uneasy about mixing wet and dry. It happens later anyway, but that's in the safety of (for me) a sealed vacpack.
All the best - Ian
"The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." c. 2800 BC
Ianinfrance
Registered Member

Postby tinca » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:44 am

Ianinfrance wrote:Hi,

I don't quite see how to combine liquid smoke with a dry cure. Might work if you brush it on first and then rub with the cure, but I'm uneasy about mixing wet and dry. It happens later anyway, but that's in the safety of (for me) a sealed vacpack.

Ello
I am going to vacpack the meat during curing , i was wondering if the liquid smoke might give the meat a more smokey flavour and hold it better if used at the beginning, rather than the end, i was hoping the Ls would be drawn into the meat, you can only try it and see :lol: :lol: Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:15 pm

I assume you'd only be adding a few ml to the dry cure, I think you'd be OK.

Dave
Curing is not an exact science... So it's not a sin to bin.

Great hams, from little acorns grow...
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby tinca » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:32 am

saucisson wrote:I assume you'd only be adding a few ml to the dry cure, I think you'd be OK.

Dave

Yer only a few spirts ,then rub into the meat before the cure goes on :D gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Postby tinca » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:52 pm

well i added some smoke liquid at the beginning and it has given the meat the extra smoke flavour i yerned for, the salt i added has increased its saltyness perhaps alittle to much so next time i will use slightly less ,but its not bad or over salty, its drying in the fidge at the mo and i used an outer slice so that is going to be the saltest bit , will no tomorrow how far its gone through. :D Gaz
tinca
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats