Black Forest Ham

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Black Forest Ham

Postby DangerDan » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:12 pm

Anyone ever make one? Have a recipe they'd like to share? I'm curious about the use of cedar for smoking. Any thoughts?
DangerDan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:18 pm

I too am curious but have never dared do it for fear of tainting my whole smoke setup with the resins.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DangerDan » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:59 pm

I can cold smoke it in a card board box or new garbage bin, either would work but I just can't seem to get a handle on the spice amounts. Here's the info that I have:

Black Forest ham
This ham is made to a traditional recipe reflecting local German farming and butchery techniques. Like other dry cured meats, the pork is not cooked but dry cured with sea salt and seasoning. Subtle hints are introduced by rubbing the surface of the ham with elderberry, juniper, garlic and coriander.
Waitrose Black Forest ham is then smoked over beech wood chippings to give a balanced flavor and matured for almost a year. The firm slices are pinky red with a smoky brown edge.

I've seen other methods implying the use of pine and fir rather than thew beechwood.
DangerDan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:10 pm

wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Oddley » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:23 pm

Here are a couple of posts by othmar, self proclaimed master butcher, :P about black forest ham.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... =5953#5953

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopi ... =9729#9729
Being right, only comes from being wrong.
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:29 pm

I imagine that it's very difficult to get a slow/steady smoke with pine needles/wood given its resin content?

Not on the exact topic, but I wonder what juniper berries added to (say) beech dust would be like?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DangerDan » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:48 pm

wheels wrote:Not on the exact topic, but I wonder what juniper berries added to (say) beech dust would be like?

Phil

Great minds think alike.... :lol:

I was showing my wife the juniper berries this morning describing the mixtutre with saw dust...

Thanks for the help guys. I put two sugar cured country hams into cure this morning and I'm looking forward to adding a 1/2 dozen or so of these black forest hams into my yearly curing if I can develope a decent ham.

Thanks guys!
DangerDan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:57 pm

Let us know how it goes.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DangerDan » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:02 pm

Some good reading there. I'll have to experiment and sample a bit to develope the taste (what ever that may be). I have a nice sized unit dedicated for my hams I will be using in my garage.

DangerDan
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats