No nitrite salt in this recipe, how do I add it?

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

No nitrite salt in this recipe, how do I add it?

Postby Andreas » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:07 pm

I have found a great swedish page with recipies of sausages, salamis etc. The only problem is virtually none of them contains nitrite salt. I have found one perticular recipie of snack sticks that I want to try, so I wonder if I can replace all the salt with nitrite salt or just a part of it? The more I read here the more nervous I get about not using it!

This is the recipe, translated by me so there might be some errors in the description.

* Pork 2400 gr
* Back fat 600 gr
* Salt 75 gr
* Garlic, pressed 30 gr
* Black pepper 25 gr
* Paprika powder 60 gr
* Spiskummin, ground 18 gr
* Koriander, ground 25 gr
* Allspice, ground 8 gr
* Clove, ground 5 gr
* Selleri seed, ground 5 gr
* Mustard seed, ground 12 gr
* Jalapeño-chili, ground* 10 gr

Grind meat and back fat medium coarse using a 5-8 mm hole disk. Mix with the other ingredients and work/mix it well together. Stuff in sheep casings, 25mm in diameter, 25cm in length. Let the surface dry before cold smoking for about 5-10 hours with sawdust from alder or what ever you prefer. Let hang in a cool, airy space. When the sausages feels firm and hard when you press them they are ready to eat
Last edited by Andreas on Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andreas
Registered Member

Postby DanMcG » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:22 pm

I'm interested to see what the pro's say, but if it was me I'd cut the salt in at least half and then add the cure per the labels directions.
I forgot to add that it sounds like a nice recipe, let us know how it turns out if you do make it.
Also I have to ask, why is koriander listed twice?
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby Andreas » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:31 pm

DanMcG wrote:I'm interested to see what the pro's say, but if it was me I'd cut the salt in at least half and then add the cure per the labels directions.
I forgot to add that it sounds like a nice recipe, let us know how it turns out if you do make it.
Also I have to ask, why is koriander listed twice?

My bad! Its supposed to be allspice, I have edited it now.
The salt I have acces to is normal nitrite salt, 99.4%Na Cl and 0,6% E 250 (Natriumnitrite) I will try this for sure, I just have to wait until the autumn temperatures hits :)
Andreas
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:53 pm

I calculate the complete replacement of the salt with nitrite salt (0.6 % NaNO2) to be just fine.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby DanMcG » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:55 pm

after rereading your original post I realized you are air drying and not cooking it. I think you will want to use a nitrate salt to cure it, not the nitrite.
Air dried sausage is someting I haven't tried yet.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby grisell » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:18 pm

25 grams of salt (preferably nitrite salt, 0.6%) per kilogram of meat is well enough. Don't exceed that if you are drying the sausage.

The Swedish 0.6% nitrite salt is calculated to be used as a substitute for ordinary salt. If the recipe states 100 g salt, you should use 100 g nitrite salt instead. Sometimes recipes call for saltpeter (KNO3) and ascorbic acid too. I usually add about 1 gram/kg saltpetre and 1/3 g/kg ascorbic acid, although I'm not completely sure why I do it... :?
Last edited by grisell on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Re: No nitrite salt in this recipe, how do I add it?

Postby grisell » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:22 pm

Andreas wrote:I have found a great swedish page with recipies of sausages, salamis etc. The only problem is virtually none of them contains nitrite salt. I have found one perticular recipie of snack sticks that I want to try, so I wonder if I can replace all the salt with nitrite salt or just a part of it? The more I read here the more nervous I get about not using it!

This is the recipe, translated by me so there might be some errors in the description.

* Pork 2400 gr
* Back fat 600 gr
* Salt 75 gr
* Garlic, pressed 30 gr
* Black pepper 25 gr
* Paprika powder 60 gr
* Allspice, ground 8 gr
* Clove, ground 5 gr

Grind meat and back fat medium coarse using a 5-8 mm hole disk. Mix with the other ingredients and work/mix it well together. Stuff in sheep casings, 25mm in diameter, 25cm in length. Let the surface dry before cold smoking for about 5-10 hours with sawdust from alder or what ever you prefer. Let hang in a cool, airy space. When the sausages feels firm and hard when you press them they are ready to eat

Spiskummin = cumin
Koriander = coriander
Selleri = celery

Just wanted to help Andreas with the translation here. No offense. :)
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Postby BriCan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:07 pm

grisell wrote:25 grams of salt (preferably nitrite salt, 0.6%) per kilogram of meat is well enough. Don't exceed that if you are drying the sausage.

I would normally jump in here with both feet and say 'you only need 20 gm per Kg'. :oops:

grisell wrote:The Swedish 0.6% nitrite salt is calculated to be used as a substitute for ordinary salt. If the recipe states 100 g salt, you should use 100 g nitrite salt instead. Sometimes recipes call for saltpeter (KNO2) and ascorbic acid too. I usually add about 1 gram/kg saltpetre and 1/3 g/kg ascorbic acid, although I'm not completely sure why I do it... :?

But after reading on I have come to relies that each country has there own types of 'all purpose curing salt' mine being salt 97.9% sodium nitrite 0.91% witch gives me my 20 gm per Kg.

Robert
BriCan
Registered Member

Re: No nitrite salt in this recipe, how do I add it?

Postby BriCan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Andreas wrote:I have found a great swedish page with recipies of sausages, salamis etc. The only problem is virtually none of them contains nitrite salt. I have found one perticular recipie of snack sticks that I want to try, so I wonder if I can replace all the salt with nitrite salt or just a part of it? The more I read here the more nervous I get about not using it!

* Pork 2400 gr
* Back fat 600 gr
* Salt 75 gr
* Garlic, pressed 30 gr
* Black pepper 25 gr
* Paprika powder 60 gr
* Allspice, ground 8 gr
* Clove, ground 5 gr

Looks very interesting, going to have to order extra pork this week. :lol:
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:19 pm

With 2400gm of meat and 600gm of fat, along with 75gm of 0.6% cure, the amount of nitrite will be between figures of 150 Parts Per Million (PPM) and around 200 PPM - depending on which of the various methods you use to calculate it.

I don't see any particular cause for alarm with either.

The salt level will be quite high but I've certainly seen other sausage recipes that are smoked, then dried, that have similar salt levels.

I hope that you enjoy it.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Andreas » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:57 pm

Thank you all for your help, I hoped it was as easy as just replace the salts and it was. I might use a little bit less than the recipe states, wont be home until september but by then I hope its cold enough to give it a try. I have also found two snackstick recipes with moose and bore. Will try those aswell and see what turns out best. If you are interested I can translate those aswell.

Now I just need to get a stuffer and some sheep casings and then Im ready to go :D
Andreas
Registered Member

Return to Recipes for cured meats