Homemade Bacon Cure

Air dried cured meat and salami recipes

Postby JollyJohn » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:32 pm

I've just eaten the first two rashers of bacon, made to Phil's method and cure calculator.......FANTASTIC!!! It's bacon like it used to be from the corner shop, when they sliced in front of you (yes, unfortunately I'm old enough to remember those days). The pig was a locally raised Old Spot cross wild bore. The bacons are now in the smoker.

John.
JollyJohn
Registered Member

Postby onewheeler » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:22 pm

I did my first bacon a couple of weeks ago, using Phil's dry cure calculator. It's brilliant! That first one was a lump of Waitrose belly pork, will be looking for something slightly higher quality and thicker for the next one. It's so easy that I can't understand why everyone doesn't make it! Even the missus who has veggie tendencies is tucking into it like a fox at a bin-bag.

A while ago we bought some Sainsburys bacon, called something like "I can't believe how 'kin expensive this bacon is" bacon. What a disappointment. Lots of white goo came out during the cooking, it looked as if someone had been performing an act of self abuse on it. Tasted pretty poor too.
onewheeler
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Recipes for cured meats