Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:53 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
wheels
Global Moderator

Irish Boiling Bacon.

Postby Nhannath » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:55 am

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late response I've been away in Dallas for a couple of days on business.

My wife is the true expert here as she's from Wexford, EIRE.

It is a very salty piece of meat that you boil quickly and serve with cabbage and potatoes. It is served hot and not left to cool down. In the US it's been changed around to use corned beef instead of boiling bacon but traditionally it was a piece of bacon.

I'll post later as I need to get the kids to schools.

Cheers

Neal
Nhannath
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:55 pm

Hi Neal just a couple of questions.
Are we to take it that you want a fairly salty cure and if not do you have the wherewithall to inject.

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Boiling Bacon

Postby Nhannath » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:05 pm

Hi.

I do have the means to inject for a wet / dry rub. Just after something that compares to a purchased product. We've purchased in Ireland, UK and at a farm shop about 200m from us on the way to the beach in NC.

I am maybe making it sound more exotic than in really is. I think it's just a boiling bacon. Like I said earlier it's for a traditional irish dish of bacon, cabbage and potatoes. You get it uncooked as a 4/5lb peice of meat that is boiled and eaten hot. Personally I'm not a fan but the wife pines for it.

I've added a few links if this helps and also one to the farm market place in NC that mentions using a wiltshire cure for it?

Cheers

Neal

http://www.foodireland.com/recipes/meat ... gbacon.htm

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5758525_irish ... acon_.html

http://www.britishbacon.com/comersus6f/ ... ategory=56
Nhannath
Registered Member

Postby captain wassname » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:00 am

Neal It would seem that we ,or should I say( I) have not read your first post properly.
You should use the butt/shoulder joint and cure as you as would normally do

The Wilshire cure is merely a term, it may mean cured with beer,treacle or a combination of both or neither,but it sounds impressive,a bit upmarket from North Korean
So your usuall cure will work fine
Im not too sure but I think Phil would use a wet cure rather than a dry cure and Im inclined to agree.
My preference would be a combination cure where you can control exactly the salt content.
As mentioned you can incorperate spices into the cure search Oddleys salt beef cure which is as I recall a combination cure but the principals can be applied to a dry cure or an immersion cure.
Im sure Phil we be along with an immersion cure that will suit your purpose ,and of course ,you could use a dry cure.
Nice to have a choice .
We will be more than happy for you to post back with any other questions you may have.

OH YEAH DID I MENTION PEAS PUDDING

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:27 pm

I too saw the reference to a Wiltshire cure; other than I think that a wet cure was used traditionally, and that a Wiltshire cure is also wet, I don't think that there is any other particular connection.

As many know, like Jim, I'm not really an 'immersion brine man' and agree that a combination cure (or even a full injection cure) would be easier.

Neal, do you have a syringe to inject brine? What curing salt do you have?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Irish Boiling Bacon.

Postby Nhannath » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:34 pm

Wheels.

I have cure #1 (US 6.88% I think). I have an injector. I do not have any saltpeter though.

Cheers

Neal
Nhannath
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:40 pm

In that case, I agree with Jim and think that Oddley's salt beef cure may fit the bill.

Now, sailing by the seat of my pants here, I think I would reduce the sugar to 5% in the injection and 0.5% in the dry cure - it should increase the taste of salt slightly. I'd also go a lot easier on the herb/spice - unless you want it spicy. My recollection is of it being fairly plain, but only you, or your wife, can decide that.

As to the saltpetre - just leave it out.

Perhaps Jim or AN Other's will add their views.

Oh, bye the way, do you know if Jim mentioned Peas Puddin'? :lol: :lol:

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Boiling Bacon

Postby Nhannath » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Hi Phil.

Thanks. I have just ordered some saltpeter. I noticed that the amount of nitrate nearly doubles / trebles by adding the small amount of pure saltpeter as opposed to omitting it. I guess this is the 6.88% of cure 1 (25mg) as opposed to 100% saltpeter (5mg) for example.

What effect on taste or texture does including or excluding the saltpeter have? I did my first ham and it was OK but I did wonder if excluding the saltpeter from the recipe affected the taste?

Cheers

Neal
Nhannath
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:40 pm

It's said to add flavour, and I have to say that I used to think this, now I'm not sure and don't use it unless I'm going to hang my product for a long period of time.

As I said before, this cure is perfectly OK without it, and personally I would only use half the PPM of saltpetre in this recipe anyway (not that that's any reflection on the recipe - just my choice). The Cure #1 will give you slightly more than 150 PPM (mg/kg) of nitrite which is perfectly adequate.

...and yes, the very small amount of saltpetre is because it's not diluted with salt.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Boiling Bacon

Postby Nhannath » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:46 pm

Phil.

Yes Jim did mention peas pudding but I have to admit I've never tried it or heard of it?

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Cheers

Neal
Nhannath
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:05 pm

Oops sorry, I was having a joke with Jim!

Here you are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pease_pudding

Very nice with a bacon joint.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby captain wassname » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:43 am

Neal
Im a fan of salt petre for frying bacon (a different arguementforanother day) ,and frowned upon by US authorities,but wouldnt use it in a bacon joint that was meant for boiling
"Saltiness" as a perception is a balance between salt and sugar and in my opinion if you want a "saltier taste " you should look to reduce sugar rather than increase salt.Which I think is what Phil said.
By the way you should type peas pudding into the site search. Failure to do so could well result in your boiled bacon being an abject disaster

Jim
captain wassname
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Recipes for cured meats